Noisy lifters

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Oldjets
80-90 Mem No: 6334

Noisy lifters

Post by Oldjets »

Just started my van after a two week layup (1990 1.9 DG, 55k). Started first time, as always, but really loud metallic tapping coming from engine. Thought it might be hydraulic lifter that had drained down, although this has never happened before. Let it warm up for a few minutes, then increased revs to see if that would make a difference but just kept on tapping in time with engine speed. Turned off, checked oil level, started up again, let it run - still there. Listening with a screwdriver pressed against various bits of the engine, it seems to be coming from the centre of crankcase at gearbox end. Cant quite make my mind up if it is to the left or right side of crankcase. Seems quiet at rocker shafts. No smoke or anything at exhaust.

Did a 150 mile run two weeks ago with absolutely no problems, gentle run - never over high 50s. Serviced 1000 miles ago, oil is VW Quantum 15-40 semi-synth, new plugs, leads, points, filters. Has always been quiet sweet running lump - I actually thought I had the only trouble free WBX on the blog, it was so good.

Have checked blog - but am not reassured. Any ideas? It is a bloody loud noise - not sure if I would want to give it a good run, as suggested in some blogs, to see if higher revs cures it. And if it is a stuck lifter, can you cure it without an total engine rebuild?

Oldjets

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Re: Noisy lifters

Post by R0B »

bet its the tappets.sitting reving it wont work for noisy tappets.you need to take it for a good five or six mile run.then report back.. :wink:
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

72BUG
80-90 Mem No: 7393

Post by 72BUG »

Yeah I had the same when I let my oil run a bit low. Topped the oil up but had to drive a few miles before the oil got round and tapping stopped.
Martin.

Diesel is an engine not a fuel.

I liked camping so much I went full time.

andisnewsyncro
80-90 Mem No: 3311

Post by andisnewsyncro »

My 2.1 did exactly that after sitting for a week and a half after our holiday. It had done a good 1000 miles over the previous 2 weeks with no issues. I guessed (hoped :wink: ) it was the tappets from what I've read on here before. After about 5 miles all was back to normal again so fingers crossed for yours, it does seem fairly common.
What a long strange trip it's been

jake1953
80-90 Mem No: 6196

Post by jake1953 »

And same here. I use mine as a daily. after 2 weeks holiday, noisy as hell on start up. drove to work (10 miles) and just as i swung into the car park, all was quiet.
Give it a good run mate.

Oldjets
80-90 Mem No: 6334

Post by Oldjets »

Thanks to all who replied and put my mind at rest. Didn't get to drive my van for a week after I posted, but did a 10 mile drive to work and right on cue, the noisy lifter shut up at the 8 mile mark.

One more thing I've learned!

Oldjets

Red Westie
80-90 Mem No: 4712

Post by Red Westie »

It will be just a lazy hydraulic tappet ellement that ended up under load when then engine was stopped (hot) the oil slowly leaked out leaving the ellement empty when it was started weeks later. Just needs a fast 20-30 minute run and it will disapear..promise.
Secondly.....Quantum Silver Semi Synthetic oil has a viscosity of 10W/40 not 15W/40 and in my experience (this happened to my 2.1 MV wasserboxer when I used a thinner 10W/40) it resulted in repeated cold start tappet noise (every 5th or 6th time of starting) it was embarassing.....and as quickly was cured once I changed back to 15W/40 (just one incident of a noisey tappet in 4 months and then only for 30 seconds one morning)
So
I think your mechanic mistakingly thought the Quantum Silver Semi Synth would be better than the Quantum Blue mineral not realising the Silver is a little thin for this engine.
Martin
On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar now sleep xxHayleyxx