Rocker Cover Moves when Engine On

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

west E
80-90 Mem No: 2370

Rocker Cover Moves when Engine On

Post by west E »

I've just fitted new gaskets for the rocker covers on my 2ltr Aircooled. The o/s is fine no probs. The n/s one moves about when i start the engine. Anyone know if i need to now replace the covers or could it be the spring that holds it into place.

cheers

ian
if you can't fix it have a drink.

meggles

Re: Rocker Cover Moves when Engine On

Post by meggles »

IMHO it could be either, but more likely to be the spring that is faulty. I would try to put a bigger inward bend into the spring to see if that stops it! If it does then buy a new spring. Could still be a problem after though if the spring is OK but the cover is slightly concave where the spring touches. I'm sure both parts are not that expensive.
I am assuming that there are no noises which could indicate something more sinister. :shock:
BTW, you have replaced the gasket haven't you? (ie: it hasn't dropped off the cover as you refitted it). Don't mean to be cheeky but it's easy to drop it!!!

west E

Post by west E »

no i stuck it on with multipurpose grease as it says in the wiki :ok

i thought about swapping over the springs to see if the problem switches sides then i no if its the spring or the cover.

ta

ian

meggles

Post by meggles »

i thought about swapping over the springs to see if the problem switches sides then i no if its the spring or the cover.

Sounds good to me! :ok

wasserleaker
80-90 Mem No: 3058

Post by wasserleaker »

these spring clips are often bent, mangled, put on the wrong way up, and don't hold the cover on well enough, if its knkrd they're pretty cheap to buy new tho, and should need a good shove to move them/click them into place when they fit right, as you prob know, make sure the gasket doesn't move before the clip is in place, which sometimes happens! one of my clips had snapped leaving a piece firmly stuck in the hole which was rock hard and impossible to drill out, so i got the bolt on ally type which seem ok.

west E

Post by west E »

i have just ordered some of the bolt on type from jk. My probs started when i fitted a bugpack breather kit. i thought the oil breather tube running to the rocker cover was causing it to move, so took it off but still the same.n/s was ok. They have always a bit of dodgy fit, so time replace with something better.

thanks for all the advice.

ian