To spray or not to spray..........

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

italianjob
80-90 Mem No: 6561

To spray or not to spray..........

Post by italianjob »

Good morning everyone - hope you've got good camping weather where you are :?:

Anyway, after a busy month for 'the van' I need some advice on the subject of spray painting. A quick update on progress so far; failed MOT in March,
couple of weeks in the van doctor's to sort out the new front arches, rear arches, sliding door sill and silencer, new cab steps, new MOT!! photos are below.

I spoke to the bloke in the next garage along who does spray jobs on vans to get an estimate for doing the old girl. £2K for a full-on windows out all over job, and approx £400 for a respray waist-line down all around including the door shuts and sorting out the new seems with flexible filler. IS this reasonable?:? :?

I've got a good idea when it comes to rates for mechanics, but I'm dazed and confused when it comes to spray painting. After spending a good bit of a good bit fixing the old girl up and getting her road legal with a new MOT (how coll is that :D ), what do I do now - £2K is out of the question 'cos the money isn't burning a hole in my pocket.
Also, can anyone recommend a spray painter in Oxfordshire or the immediate vicinity??

Ta for any advice
italianjob
85 Holdsworth Villa 3, in orange, petrol

Get the wheels in line. Get the wheels in line!

dsa
80-90 Mem No: 3186

Re: To spray or not to spray..........

Post by dsa »

Hi £400 seems cheap for waist down respray including seem work about 2 years ago i paid £120 to get a sliding door painted

VWlewis
80-90 Mem No: 2852

Post by VWlewis »

dsa wrote:Hi £400 seems cheap for waist down respray including seem work about 2 years ago i paid £120 to get a sliding door painted

I agree - does this include a low temp bake too... make sure all - and I mean all the rust is dealt with on the bottom seams or else it will break through again in 2 years.

Cheers :D
VW Fan :D Learned to drive in a T2, then drove a T1, later a T4, then a T5 (and a few Audis and Passats)
Now a proud T3 Caravelle GL 2.1 DJ WBX owner: "Dora the Explorer" .. by my reckoning, a T15 Driver!
Dr T15 Speaks!

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Post by AngeloEvs »

why not do it yourself? Any good paint factors will mix 2 pack in a spray can form if you give them the paint code. Yours is a base colour and doesn't need the laquer top coat. The professional spray can form, unlike the typical Halfords spray cans, has an excellent spray pattern and gives an excellent finish and covering. One can did two thirds of the entire side of my van and cost me £12-00, left it to bake/harden in the sun. Looking at the pics that entire length is exactly what I had to do up to the waistline.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

eatcustard
80-90 Mem No: 6062

Post by eatcustard »

I can get a full respray with windows out for about £1000

and its not a bad job
https://www.penguinjones.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; PM me for your 10% discount