Electrolux Fridge help needed

Where you go, where you stay and everything to do with getting there and back.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

vwstanley66
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by vwstanley66 »

My 3 way fridge has stopped working on gas> It lights but does not chill the fridge anymore. It still works on 12v and mains elecric fine. Any bright ideas?
regards: neil_macdermott@hotmail.com
8)

DiscoDave
80-90 Mem No: 684

Post by DiscoDave »

have you got it nice and level??? they will light but won't keep cool ift hey are on a hill or unlevel! worth a try!

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

what colour is the flame?
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

Apollo
80-90 Mem No: 2368

Post by Apollo »

If the fridge is on the level i.e. (as mentioned elsewhere on the forum) within the 3-6deg tolerance, depending on model and the flame is a nice blue colour;

Check that the flame stays alight the whole time
If not then either the thermocouple (little brass bit that sits in the flame)or the electromagnet that sits inside the main valve body could be shot.... or both

Theoretically if the flame is on then it should work, particularly if the fridge is working OK on electric. There really is not too much to go wrong with these fridges..

Although it is also a good idea to check the regulator, I believe somebody else had had this problem and established that the Reg was faulty and not enough pressure was being supplied.

Regulators should be changed every 10years and lines every 5yrs

If you do end up replacing the bits mentioned above then you should before fiting them strip down the main body(brass bit behind the gas knob with gas lines going into it), taking note how it all goes together and soak in metholated spirits then blow out with compressed air. DO NOT soak the electromagnet I don't think they like it very much. Just the brass body and any brass or alloy looking bits.

Hope this helps, I have recently had a similar problem and received this advice from a Dometic service guy.

Make sure that you are confident with what you are doing and if you have any doubts then ask a Pro to service it for you.

Woodsey

Post by Woodsey »

I've battled with our fridge since we got the van, sounds like the injector could be parially blocked, this means disconnecting and removing the fridge before taking out the injector (the brass bit below the flame) and cleaning it.

One trick that used to work on the old pilot lights was soaking the injector in vinager...can you tell I was a gas fitter in the dim and distant past, when gas fridges were in :roll: stalled in homes, not just campers ! :roll:

Boltze
80-90 Mem No: 2510

Post by Boltze »

vwstanley66

Injectors etc

Post by vwstanley66 »

I blew air through the injector, ( i thou it looked clear when holding it up to the light. On reassemble the fridge is exactly the same - works on electric but not gas. I dont think the level is a problem as it works fine on electric. Is it worth taking apart again and doing the vinegar cleaning?

Cate
80-90 Mem No: 1024
Location: Here & there on the Isle of Wight. 80-90 1024, sync 22, Goon.

Post by Cate »

I think the being level bit is to do with the gas flame hitting the thermo-couple (bimetal strip) rather than the juices in the system.
Me!
..and here's the twist...I don't exist....

Bowton Lad
80-90 Mem No: 2488

Post by Bowton Lad »

I've still got problems with my Electrolux 2-way fridge.I am now going to follow the advice given about cleaning out the gas jet.
One thing though, the tolerance for levelling the fridge is +/- 3 degrees.
BOWTON LAD, CLUB 80-90 MEMBER No.2488

2013 VW PASSAT ESTATE 2.OL TDI BLUE MOTION TECHNOLOGY

Mudlark
80-90 Mem No: 394

Post by Mudlark »

Some useful fridge info here.

http://swift-owners-club.com/soc1/tips/fridges.html

Not VW specific but some techy stuff.
--
1.9 TDI Syncro 16 Westfalia Joker
--