Help - Engine blown up!

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

SYMCRO
80-90 Mem No: 2411

Re: "Blown Engine"

Post by SYMCRO »

Have (you or anybody else) tried putting water back into coolant system & seeing where it is actually coming out of?

If engine still turns then it is (as alredy mentioned) most probably "just" a leak. If not a hose, then rubber head joints are most likely culprits as these are prone to fail @ milages over 60k. (blue/green gunge on joint is normal symptom). They sometimes just leak a bit for avery long time before finally failing big time. If you are very careful (& have a good set of tools!) it is possible to change these joints with engine in situ. (Must be carefull to remove only the head & not disturb the pots/bottom oil O rings)
Early 1.9's were prone to broken head studs/water leaks. If that has happened then it will be easier/cheaper getting another engine.
On 2.1's the LH metal water manifold is another weak point & prone to rust spots (I'm on third one on my Syncro).

Regards

Simon H 8)
Symcro

DiscoDave
80-90 Mem No: 684

Post by DiscoDave »

how about a second hand engine?? sometimes on the ebay?? might be cheaper than a new one??!!!!

Simon Baxter
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1

Post by Simon Baxter »

Nowt wrong with Vege engines, problems usually arise from the fitter.
Vege have a very good warranty and returns policy.

Vw engines are still available, and competitvley priced, but once the engine has been installed it has to be checked by a VW dealer (and incur the associated costs) before you will get your green warranty card stamped.

Both engines carry an unlimited mileage 2 years guarantee against mechanical defects.

Thing is, if you buy Vege/VW then you will get aftercare throughout the UK and Europe, and with it being in a camper the chances of going abroad are quite large, the thing you have to watch is some of the smaller companies as if you break down then they won't have european representatives to help you out.

Im all for paying slightly more but having the warranty.

Laurie although ill hasn't given up just yet, won't be long though. He will be working at mine at the beginning of April for a day or so on a mutual customers van.
'86 VW T3 syncro panel
'89 VW T3 Westy Atlantic
'81 Porsche 924
SJ Baxter LTD/Brickwerks

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

God forbid that I will ever need one, but out of curiosity, how much is a re-conned Vege/VW 1.9 pumper motor ?
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

Simon Baxter
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1

Post by Simon Baxter »

usual bill for a 1.9 petrol, recon motor and all the stuff that goes with it, plugs leads, coolant oil bits of exhaust is usually around the £2000 mark when all done and dusted.
Some are a little cheaper, depends on whats broken when the bits are swapped accross.
'86 VW T3 syncro panel
'89 VW T3 Westy Atlantic
'81 Porsche 924
SJ Baxter LTD/Brickwerks

banana
80-90 Mem No: 2517

Post by banana »

When I had my 1.6Td put in the engine was 1500 and the bill was 3000. The vat was 500 the labour was 450 the hoses ( not cheap) and bits and bobs including a new exhaust on mine pushed the whole thing up.

Then I had to pay again for 1000 mile oil change where the running in oil was drained. And then 4000 miles later a another oil change. You have to observe this as my warranty is invalid if you dont.

So its not easy to do an engine change on the cheap when its a guaranteed recon.

If you can get the job for £2000 on your petrol thats sounds really good value to me
Im not the first and I wont be the last