Windscreen seal help

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Pepperami
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 4608

Windscreen seal help

Post by Pepperami »

I have just been on to VW to get a new windscreen seal. They have been discontinued and there is no stock showing anywhere.
Any idea's as to what to do? Anyone got any contacts?

I have already had the window out all metal rebuilt and screen put in using JK seal. Professionally! Had them back out to try and seal the screen but it is actually still pishing water. I was going to get a VW seal and get it all done again.
fullthrottlejunkies.org

Cruz
80-90 Mem No: 2092

Post by Cruz »

www.status-vw.co.uk £20+p&p

We have built up an excellent reputation for our Genuine VW rubber seals. We do not compromise on quality when it comes to seals. Plenty of our competitors describe their products as 'Genuine Quality' which can mean lots of things - but it doesn't mean Genuine VW. On the other hand, when we say 'Genuine VW' we actually mean that! A part manufactured by VW or for VW by the original supplier - not something that somebody thinks comes close to it! So don't put up with second best when you can have the best!

80-90 Mem No: 3299

Post by 1664 »

Are you absolutely sure it's the windscreen letting in the water? There are plenty of other places for it to get in - especially now as you've had it all replaced and a new rubber.
Vorsprung Durch Technik my ar$e!

Pepperami
R.I.P.

Post by Pepperami »

Cheers cruz sorted.
Where else should i check Bren.
fullthrottlejunkies.org

Cruz
80-90 Mem No: 2092

Post by Cruz »

Is it getting in through the wiper mounts? Or pillar Aerial mount?

syncrosimon
80-90 Mem No: 3784

Post by syncrosimon »

The Bentley manual states that you should use a bead of sealant around the metal work prior to windscreen fitment, I have had two screens fitted, neither with sealant, and both leaked. I would imagine that the use of sealant makes it a messier job, so not popular with the fitters, and maybe now out of fashion due to bonded windscreens.
1991 16" DJ (sold)
2006 Subaru Outback 3.0R
2010 Yamaha Ténéré
2000 KTM LC400

Nicola&Tony
80-90 Mem No: 3095

Post by Nicola&Tony »

The washer jets also get loose and let the rain in.

Tony
Looking for: window apertures for side windows, at the back of the van

T25; 1985; RHD; 1.9DG petrol / LPG; white Autosleeper high-top; Looking rusty again!

LT31; 1993; RHD; 2.4L petrol; high-top; diy camper project.

Pepperami
R.I.P.

Post by Pepperami »

Checked the washer jets they appear ok. One of the windscreen wiper mounts has come away a little everything else seems to be in order.
Some water was by the gear lever so looks like it has come in from by the heater. ?????????
fullthrottlejunkies.org

80-90 Mem No: 3299

Post by 1664 »

On my old camper I removed the grills and there were all manner of rubber grommets missing and wires & pipes coming through unsealed holes. As mentioned also, washer jets, wipers etc. Water only needs a tiny hole to get in. Is the water in the footwells above or under the rubber matting? Tried looking for water 'runs' on bulkhead etc after a good hoseing?

I just think you should check everything before embarking on doing a job twice really.....
Vorsprung Durch Technik my ar$e!

sln123
80-90 Mem No: 4262

Post by sln123 »

I had the same problem which resulted in a small rust hole in the floor. I bought a new screen seal (I was also told that VW no longer supply them but if you get your local van centre to seach there are a few dealers around the country with the odd one in stock) but it turned out to be my aerial. I tightened it up & sealed round it with black silkaflex and I no longer have a leak, plus I now have a spare obsolete (ish) front screen rubber for when mine does go.

lambrettalee

Post by lambrettalee »

syncrosimon wrote:The Bentley manual states that you should use a bead of sealant around the metal work prior to windscreen fitment, I have had two screens fitted, neither with sealant, and both leaked. I would imagine that the use of sealant makes it a messier job, so not popular with the fitters, and maybe now out of fashion due to bonded windscreens.
i have personally fitted 5 screens in t25s and never used sealant and none have leaked , maybe ive been lucky

Rozzo
80-90 Mem No: 3339

Post by Rozzo »

anyone needing windscreen rubbers etc. try ringing auto windscreen,, or auto glass or cab glass etc. as i'm sure they keep it on stock :wink:
number on yell.com or in yellow pages
LT owner and positively rattling around with the new found space
member 3339