Go on then read this !

Post it here, if it doesn't fit any of the above.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

peteabbott
80-90 Mem No: 4672

Go on then read this !

Post by peteabbott »

My fellow T25ers. The love of my life is burning oil but she does not bellow out plumes of smoke, well matbe a whisp. She does not breath heavily and although very little smoke she does smell strongly of burnt oil. Now considering she does not breath heavily could it be valve stem seals ? (my prefered answer) If you read this and cant be constructive please have a guess and I will add up all the guesses and may come up with an answer so go on have a go please.
[IMG:160:105]http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg41 ... 0_0111.jpg[/img]
Pete Abbott

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

what engine?

ffs
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

Nicola&Tony
80-90 Mem No: 3095

Re: Go on then read this !

Post by Nicola&Tony »

peteabbott wrote:My fellow T25ers. The love of my life is burning oil but she does not bellow out plumes of smoke, well matbe a whisp. She does not breath heavily and although very little smoke she does smell strongly of burnt oil. Now considering she does not breath heavily could it be valve stem seals ? (my prefered answer) If you read this and cant be constructive please have a guess and I will add up all the guesses and may come up with an answer so go on have a go please.

Dunno, but you were missing a square bracket after img at the start of your code. :wink:

Tony
Last edited by Nicola&Tony on 12 Dec 2008, 15:12, edited 1 time in total.
Looking for: window apertures for side windows, at the back of the van

T25; 1985; RHD; 1.9DG petrol / LPG; white Autosleeper high-top; Looking rusty again!

LT31; 1993; RHD; 2.4L petrol; high-top; diy camper project.

Red Westie
80-90 Mem No: 4712

Post by Red Westie »

Valve stem seals, if it has them (from previous posts I am led to believe wasserboxers don't have them) are fairly easy to diagnose....typically the engine will emit a puff of smoke after a long period of 'overun' say down a hill, fairly high revs but no throttle, in a lower gear, just allowing the engine to slow the van, as long a period as possible, then re-apply the throttle quickly and look for a big puff of smoke.
Why does it do this? well....on overun the engine braking creates vacuum and sucks oil down the valve guides past the valves and into the engine.
If on the other hand this oil is getting passed the piston rings you should be able to determine this with a compression check DRY...then WET (seeing a sizable increase in compression with the wet test) which will confirm worn or sticking rings and cylinder bores.
Martin
On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar now sleep xxHayleyxx

peteabbott

smokey

Post by peteabbott »

Thankyou Red Westy. Will try the compression test but with your discription it does exactly that. Thanks again and by the way it is a 1.7 diesel KY engine
Pete Abbott

lambrettalee

Post by lambrettalee »

no valve stem seals on a wasser boxer

Red Westie
80-90 Mem No: 4712

Post by Red Westie »

But they are fitted on a Diesel...
Next question...
What colour is the smoke....Blue tinge is oil....white is unburnt diesel fuel. combined with the corresponding smell associated with oil or diesel.
Injector dribble? non atomised diesel fuel does not mix well with air..
Low compression also leads to white smoke because not enough heat is generated to fully burn the fuel.
Martin
On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar now sleep xxHayleyxx

peteabbott

smoke

Post by peteabbott »

Thanks again Red Westy. It does actually smell like unburnt fuel but I actually have to top up with oil about 2.5lts every 500miles and I have not got a leak....no puddles underneath either. Oh dear getting to sound more like a complete rebuild and I don,t think spare bits for this 1.7 KY are that easy to get hold of. Will do comp test wet n dry this weekend and let you know the results if you don,t mind. If this turns out well I will replace injectors and stem seals. Thanks again.
Pete Abbott

lambrettalee

Post by lambrettalee »

2.5 ltrs of oil every 500 miles is a large amount , in my opinion if it was just valve stem oil seals it wouldnt use any where near that much, bore/ring wear is more likely, does it knock at all ?

peteabbott

Post by peteabbott »

Yes or no. All is not well. Got a friend to follow me today and it is BLUE smoke and he says cough cough quite a lot. Strange it didn,t look that bad in the rear view mirror :o Anyway I am going to look for another 1.7 KY engine to rebuild. Some folks say to fit a different engine but it may sound a tad sentimental but I really would like to keep her as original as possible. I have just bought a cheap runaround so probably best to take her off road and have a good gander at the engine first, the runaround I have bought is a Micra so bit of a difference. Thanks for all your advice it is really appreciated, will "knock on your doors" when I go looking for parts.Thanks again all
Pete
Pete Abbott