Ahoy there South Devon campers!

Where you go, where you stay and everything to do with getting there and back.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Martipants
80-90 Mem No: 4888

Ahoy there South Devon campers!

Post by Martipants »

We're heading off to France from Plymouth in may. We've opted for the day ferry which leaves at about 7 in the morning so we were wondering whether or not to park up in plymouth or in the Saltash area overnight rather than wake the kids up at 4 to get there in time from Bideford...

Any good places close to the port or sites within easy drive? What about on the Cornwall side? What time does the Torpoint ferry start up in the morning?
Newbie. Should know better by now.
1981 2L Aircooled. RHD. Devon conversion.
Bit rusty but running fine...so far.

Grun
80-90 Mem No: 1250

Re:Ahoy there South Devon campers!

Post by Grun »

Martipants,
Brittany ferries website says (under Plymouth ferryport guide)

HERE

'Caravans can be parked 'overnight' in the car lanes provided they do not interfere with loading for any departures prior to that which you are travelling on.'

I have often stayed overnight on the far side of the channel usually at Cherbourg on the ferryport waiting area, and there are usually stacks of campers and motorhomes overnighting. I have never tried Plymouth, always get a later ferry than you are planning.

Hope your trip goes well. Cheers

Mike
'Two 'eads is better'n wun even if mine's a sheeps'
Grun
Member Number 1250
D reg 2.1 DJ autosleeper poptop

Ivor Brownun
80-90 Mem No: 732

Post by Ivor Brownun »

Torpoint ferry runs all night, there are 3 of them at peak periods reducing during the night when its quiet, there is a web site. Somewhere flat and with toilets is what you need by the sound of it, and the ferry port is secure and has both.
Member 732,

Martipants

Post by Martipants »

Cheers fellas...the ferry port it is then...unglamorous but near the boat. The good stuff is on the other side of the channel...

Ivybvus
80-90 Mem No: 3619

Post by Ivybvus »

Don't know if you are into Chinese - if so - once parked up - walk out of the port - turning right and up past Vospers at next roundabout turn Right into West Hoe Road walk along this until you are on the Hoe proper (5/10 mins tops) You are looking for sign to the WET WOK = nice food and views - before you get there you will go past The Waterfront - nice but expensive - will make you appreciate the cost of eating out abroad - even if the £ is in the toilet!

Sippers is not bad if you don't want to go to far - i think it is no kids after eight.

cheaper beer is available at The Union Rooms - a vertical drinking den - part of the Lloyds Bar Chain - again no kids after 8.

have a good holiday

plymat
80-90 Mem No: 1712

Post by plymat »

I agree with Ivy and Ivor, park on the hard standing at the ferry terminal, no camp site near as it's close to city centre. If your heading for the Torpoint ferry way, your be way off line, but there are some sleepy spots out by Whitsands which is a good hour from there including the Torpoint ferry, as Ivor says it's runs all night but on a limited service until 6.30 when more are added.

If you go wondering from the terminal be careful which way you go, when you come out turn RIGHT, over wise you'll end up in either Union St or the red light area in Stonehouse (could be costly either way :) )

There are some nice Fish & Chips shops on the Hoe too and the Barbican area is not much of a walk from the Hoe for more food points including 'The Famous Capt Jaspers'

On the other side and coming back the overnight stop point is far better with a nice new tarmaced area for sleeping on, with a view down to the ferry port. If you want to bring back some duty free, call into St Pol de Leon before Roscoff as it's a bit cheaper.

Enjoy it, I can't wait to get back over in July :D
Member no 1712, Plymouth Branch :)

http://www.thet25adventure.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ - site in progress, but aren't they all.
Must do an update!
Aha - started:)

Martipants

Post by Martipants »

Plymat

Cheers for that. Don't turn left onto Union Street..... or was it right....

Like the blog. You're right - everyone must have a VW Camper Tee. My gilrs have them. I thought one of those haynes manual cut out pics would be good for me....

Ivybvus
80-90 Mem No: 3619

Post by Ivybvus »

the missus is clever - she has just come upwith a site out at Marsh Mills (3 miles frm the port) The Riverside Caravan park www.riversidecaravanpark.com - nearest pub The Marsh Millls - chain but kid freindly - for a walk you have the plym vallly trail = 'excuse the typing I am using a very small keyboard and have saussages for fingers :o