Changing Steering Wheel

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

stevewright76
80-90 Mem No: 2310

Changing Steering Wheel

Post by stevewright76 »

Have a 1982 Type 25 camper which I recently bought in Sheffield.

Previous owner put a mall and quite horid Golf GTI steering wheel on it, with original left in van. I've succeeded in disconnecting horn and wires, undoing lock nut and following full haynes manual steps to get it off - except for the bit where you 'use the palm of your hand to hit the spokes until it comes away from steering column'

I've palmed, bashed, hit, yanked etc and have only got half an inch movement (and radio nearly falling out!) before giving up in furstration and fear of breaking indicator stalks or damaging steering mechanism from using that much force may.

Anyone got any suggestions/tips/tricks on how to actually get it off and loose? Can I cuase any damage to steering olumn by kicking/bashing harder and more if I try again?

Tex Ritter
80-90 Mem No: 1057

Steering wheel

Post by Tex Ritter »

Loosen the nut off but leave it on a couple of threads, grab the wheel at 9 and 3 oclock and alternatively yank up and press down with left and right hands keeping the pressure on all the time it will move...believe me.

If this does not work (but I bet you it will, after all, it is a tapered shaft), have someone belt the underside as near to the boss as possible using a lump of wood and a 4lb lump hammer whilst keeping the upward pressure on. Don't be frightened to give it some welly...and watch your fingers.

I had one of those Golf wheels fitted but it made the steering too heavy and obscured the warning/dash lights, so I binned it.

Tex R
If you never have a route planned ...how can you ever be lost?

stevewright76

Welly it then?!?!

Post by stevewright76 »

Exactly why I want rid of the stupid thing, keep not seeing I've got brights on an not being able to se re light has potential to be ERY expensive!
Thanks for tips - kind of needed confirmation that the welly/hammer appraoch is not going to cause serious probs - will try first technique, then a friend with lumping hammer - you're a star.

Steve

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

Standard wheel's the bizz...

Innit :?:

You just have to make those air brake noises when you're 10 to 2'ing it and you're an HGV driver without having to pass the exams.
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

Tex Ritter
80-90 Mem No: 1057

Steering wheel prob

Post by Tex Ritter »

Can't understand the wheel being so tight to get off, I was taking my wheel off regularly to try various other wheels without any problems.

As I said earlier with it having a tapered shaft, once you loosen it, it should fly off, hence the reason for leaving the nut in place...to save your teeth.

Harryman...funny you should say that, I have a HGV class 1 licence, and I still make the air brake noise when in my van.

Tex R
If you never have a route planned ...how can you ever be lost?

HarryMann
Admin/Mod

Post by HarryMann »

Guess you don't have to do the 10 to 2 shuffle in those monsters with power steering today - can you imagine driving a 60's Foden - no, nor can I :wink:

Syncronaut No. 1

stevewright76

Re: Steering wheel prob

Post by stevewright76 »

Tex Ritter wrote:Can't understand the wheel being so tight to get off, I was taking my wheel off regularly to try various other wheels without any problems.

As I said earlier with it having a tapered shaft, once you loosen it, it should fly off, hence the reason for leaving the nut in place...to save your teeth.

That's what I expected but this one ain't budging, and http://www.club80-90.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2366 wobbly steering columns make me worried about applying that much force to it...

Will try again next week and see if I can get any joy this time, maybe with WD40 applied...

HarryMann
Admin/Mod

Post by HarryMann »

Think Tex was saying it might then be a 2 man job - as jammed splines and tapers and things like this can be .

The BIG guy heaving evenly upwards just as the less big guy delivers a perfectly judged thump with a club hammer (don't even bother thinking about anything less than a 2 pounder). Use a piece of oak or hardwood between the club and the job (pine is a waste of time, just squashes unless 100 years old)..

... a bit like having a puller wound up so tight its about to explode and the part's still not budging, yet a good whack on the end of it - and it loosens.

Syncronaut No. 1

stevewright76

Post by stevewright76 »

Gonna hav to find a big bloke with a big hammer then!

Dmn, where are Viking raids when you need them?

HarryMann
Admin/Mod

Post by HarryMann »

:D

Syncronaut No. 1

HarryMann
Admin/Mod

Post by HarryMann »

... a bit like having a puller wound up so tight its about to explode and the part's still not budging, yet a good whack on the end of it - and it loosens.

In fact, the blow in that case is often down onto the spindle of the puller, so if you can arrange a suitable dolly (hello?) on the nut of the shaft, you might try striking down through the Viking's arms (but watch his chin :evil: )

Does that make sense?

Oh WD40 is not a penetrating oil really, PlusGas is the one most rate.. doubt if it will make a jot of difference though...

Syncronaut No. 1