Automatic Subaru for convertion

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

wackos00
80-90 Mem No: 4231

Automatic Subaru for convertion

Post by wackos00 »

Hi Ive found what might be a great dona car, its a 1990 legacy GX Its the 2.2l 16v. 75000 miles, only thing is its an automatic, just wondering if thats gonna affect stuff in the future, incidently im going to to the rjes bell housing conversion route.
1982 2l Aircooled bus slowly turning into a scooby powered camper

mr_bricolage
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by mr_bricolage »

I would recommend that you speak to Richard about this but as far as I am aware you may need to change the flywheel for a manual one.
RJES bellhousing kit is top quality and I believe he is developing more kit for the conversion now.

jamesc76
80-90 Mem No: 1186

Post by jamesc76 »

ive got a 2.2 in mine you'll love it !!!!!!! i think the only difference is that you will need manual flywheel i think but dont quote me on that!!!
DJ at Dubdayz Summerfest
Now cutting about in an LT35 MWB

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

Yes, you need to get a an EJ22 flywheel and clutch cover, and use the large T25 centre-plate.

Harness and ecu slightly different (versions changed almost monthly) and depending on engine no. you might also need a speed sensor (RJES can supply),. Some run Ok without them, som ecu's seemt o need them, AFAIK
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

SyncroSam
80-90 Mem No: 1270

Post by SyncroSam »

You will also need a starter motor from a manual. Also, when you come to do the wiring there will be an additional ecu for the gearbox and lots more wires, but its easy to work out, so you can just chop them off and get rid of them. One other difference is the guide that goes round the pulley to stop the cambelt jumping during gear changes, automatics didn't have them. If it has the hole tapped for it, its easy to get hold of one and bolt it on. Mine didn't have a hole for it, so haven't bothered fitting one, and so far it hasn't caused a problem.
Cheers,
Sam.