Expansion tank cap needed - we think!?

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

jagsman
80-90 Mem No: 886

Expansion tank cap needed - we think!?

Post by jagsman »

Hello all,

question on behalf of my brother in law what I am visiting down here in sunny (today anyway!) Lincolnshire. He's just acquired a 1987 diesel and will be on here with all manner of questions shortly (username "Nige" so be nice to him)....

Anyroad, we went to get the van home today - long story - and the upshot is that the expansion tank on the coolant APPEARS to have blown the cap off....the cap was covered in white PTFE tape (the threads, as we managed to unscrew what was left) and obviously the top was gone. The thing is, when we topped up, stuck a "bung" in it and started up again just to get it off the road, it seemed okay for a bit before our bodged bung blew also.

NOW, the question-y bit. WOULD the PTFE tape be indicative of a poor seal and/or knackered cap anyway, hence it blowing, OR might there be a deeper issue?

WE are both mechanical numpties but would appreciate any advice AND a spare cap if anyone has one.

The numbers from the Engine are:

NR0460464152 and

R170BT4000

if that's any help.

Thanks a million as always,

Bryan
(&Nige)
Member 886

Twitter @somewhataldente

camper
80-90 Mem No: 1710

Post by camper »

The expansion tank cap and threads for both need to be in good condition.Buy a new cap volks not g.s.f.Try that .

jagsman

Post by jagsman »

Brilliant, ta. Will try that. Is "official" Volks stuff orderable (? is that a word?) online? I've tried using the VW GB site before for window rubbers but to no avail....

Ta.
Member 886

Twitter @somewhataldente

Westy.Club.Joker
80-90 Mem No: 2863
Location: Sunny Lancs. 1988 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker pop-top

Post by Westy.Club.Joker »

Are you on about the tank behind the number plate or the top header tank with the blue cap on?
Keep it real.

Search first - ask second ;>}

camper
80-90 Mem No: 1710

Post by camper »

I suggest main dealer or an other approved vw parts supplier."Reason why not G.S.F ".I purchased two caps and thermostat + one expansion tank all faulty.Sorry G.S.F but for coolent parts VW only.

jagsman

Post by jagsman »

Are you on about the tank behind the number plate or the top header tank with the blue cap on?

The top tank with the blue cap......

Ta
Member 886

Twitter @somewhataldente

ssbrown19
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by ssbrown19 »

Hi,

Sounds very similar to a problem that i am having, bought the van and drove fine from north yorkshire to somerset, then a very similar problem a couple of weeks later , please see the following thread

http://archive.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=21836

despite my new coolant tank, with cap and new thermostat (all bought from Just Kampers :oops: ), I still have the same issue

Van is now at the garage......I await the post mortem and bill!

Good Luck!

Westy.Club.Joker
80-90 Mem No: 2863
Location: Sunny Lancs. 1988 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker pop-top

Post by Westy.Club.Joker »

Could be a head gasket or cracked head problem, pressurising the system above what it`s supposed to run at (approx. 1 bar or 14PSI)
Keep it real.

Search first - ask second ;>}

Simon Baxter
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1

Post by Simon Baxter »

Those numbers you quoted are the part numbers and codes from the Diesel injection pump and not for the engine.

Use genuine VW caps, your local dealer will be able to order you one in, but for heavens sake don't ask for T25 parts, or they won't have a fupping clue what you are on about!

Remember it's a Type 2!

Alternativley I can post you one out.
'86 VW T3 syncro panel
'89 VW T3 Westy Atlantic
'81 Porsche 924
SJ Baxter LTD/Brickwerks