power steering conversion

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

angry vanagon
80-90 Mem No: 2314

power steering conversion

Post by angry vanagon »

Hi has anyone done a power steering conversion and used a rack from another more common rhd vehicle? the rhd t25 power steering racks seem to be a little thin on the ground and a bit pricey for me but 8.5x18" front wheels make steering "a little heavy" many thanks in advance

Russel
80-90 Mem No: 1052

Post by Russel »

Unfortunatly there is no nown alternative rack available.

syncroparge
80-90 Mem No: 0

power steering

Post by syncroparge »

Has anyone looked into fitting electric power steering from newer car.I think they have a column mounted motors, so you could use existing steering rack. Just a thought.

angry vanagon

steering rack

Post by angry vanagon »

there's got to be something out there with the same width pas rack with the right diameter rack end's to take transporters track rod end's.a steering link between the rack and the steering box could be made up with correct ends on and a pair of mounting bracket to hold the rack to the body

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Unfortunatley, due to the design of the T25, you would need a left hand drive rack from a normal car to work on the van, as the drive faces forward, not back like a conventional setup.

MG

angry vanagon

power steering

Post by angry vanagon »

quite a few other manafactures vans and rear drive cars i have worked on in the past had front mounted racks on so finding another rack to fit shouldnt be a problem but i thought i would ask and see if anyone else had fitted anything alternative to save me the trouble on measureing up. looks like a trip to the local boneyard with a tape measure then