Tinware seals

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

cumbriankeith
80-90 Mem No: 38

Tinware seals

Post by cumbriankeith »

Can anyone tell me if the 2 seals marked as "28" on this pic are that critical. They fill the small gap round the ducting that sends air from the alternator fan to the heat exchangers, which goes on to heat the cab.
I know people will say all tinware seals are important for keeping a/c engines happy but mine was missing them. Anyone got them going spare or know the part number?
Also anyone got a good "37" (tinware rubber seal at the oil pressure switch location) going spare? BTW it is shown upside-down in the pic!
Keith
Membership number 38

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

Keith,

Can't really help on question as such from experience, but if there are holes where there shouldn't be in any air ducting, the efficiency will always be a lot less than one might think for such small holes...

The price of all 3 together seems to be about about 6 or 7 quid, so probably well worth the peace of mind.

Below is a fantastic link for anyone wanting to produce the perfectly insulated and heated air-cooled, relates principally to Bays, but many of the hints, tips, tricks and materials used apply equally to pre '84 a/c T3s too - explore all the links at the bottom of each page if you find it interesting...

http://www.type2.com/library/heat/heat-soundproof.html

The exhaust wrap is now available in the UK from Frosts auto-restorers but not cheap (about £50) and offers a small performance gain due to higher exhaust velocity (only the manifold and not the whole system should be wrapped).

NB. Since this article was written, a lot of cheaper and more easily applied insulation materials have become avaialble, principally aimed at the building trade, either sheet/board products or flexi-wraps for pipes, which may make some of these mods more feasible and affordable.

PS. This great article was 'lost' for a year or two, but was re-discovered in 3rd party site cache and reinstated. As you can see, this guy does not mess about, gutted the van and as good as rebuilt the whole VW cooling and insulation system, learning a lot about VW's half-hearted approach to production engineering a basically good design.
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

cumbriankeith

Cooling it

Post by cumbriankeith »

Harry
Thanks for that - I've seen that website before - it's good, if a bit involved!
Those parts (28s) are no longer available from VAG - according to my copy of EKTA anyway - or does someone else know better??
Keith
Membership number 38

HarryMann
Admin/Mod

Post by HarryMann »

Order them and try; or I'll get them ordered up through GSF and we'll see, will be cheap to post, too late this week but if ordered on a Monday will be in by Friday , or if back-order usually a week or two. Just say...

Mr Bulley does give an idea what mods make the most difference but as always, it tends to be that all the little bits add up to more than the whole, but he seemed to think once the air duct is sealed as it should then an enormous amount of heat was being lost in the ducts at the front due to lack of any real form of insulation; maybe yours are later and better insulated.

This good stuff and cheap:-
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro ... 5&id=62194

and this ally self-adhesive tape to seal joins:

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro ... 9%26p%3Dx4

Syncronaut No. 1

cumbriankeith

Seals

Post by cumbriankeith »

If you could try and order them next time you are in GSF that would be great - my nearest GSF is a 2 hour drive...
I'm not in a tearing rush for them - they can be fitted after I put the engine back in.
Merry Christmas,
Keith
Membership number 38

Tex Ritter
80-90 Mem No: 1057

Seals

Post by Tex Ritter »

Keith,

Sorry to jump in on your thread, but you mentioned you had your engine out? Are you overhauling it? I would be interested in where you got your rocker shafts from if you are renewing them.

Tex R
If you never have a route planned ...how can you ever be lost?

HarryMann
Admin/Mod

Post by HarryMann »

Willdo Keith...

Syncronaut No. 1

cumbriankeith

Rock and?

Post by cumbriankeith »

Tex
I've had the lump rebuilt by Laurie Petit - so I assume that he checked the rocker shafts for any wear and put them back in. He didn't mention that they are an issue - or do you know different? Are your's bad then?
In fact he actually rebuilt the spare lump that I acquired ages ago for just this situation - to get a rebuild done while messing with removing original and refurbing all the tinware/addons etc.
Therefore I have that other engine (my original), which had a top end/rings redo by me about 35k miles ago (compressions still very good) - rest of engine has done about 150k. I was planning on maybe doing a rebuild on it myself and keeping it or maybe flogging it.
Keith
Membership number 38

Tex Ritter
80-90 Mem No: 1057

Seals

Post by Tex Ritter »

Hello Keith,

I renewed my push rod tube seals about 3 years ago, while I had the rocker shafts out I examined them and found them to be quite worn.

As I was unable to source new ones at the time I simply turned them through 180 degrees and re-used them, I reckon they must have done 12,000 miles since.

Although they are not causing any trouble as is, I was just wondering if you had renewed yours and at what cost?

Thanks.

Tex R
If you never have a route planned ...how can you ever be lost?

cumbriankeith

Shafted

Post by cumbriankeith »

Tex
No, I have not replaced them - and neither has Laurie in the rebuild as far as I know. Not sure what probs any wear would cause? Inconsistent valve lift? May be "if it ain't bust don't fix it" (other than what you've already done) is the best strategy!?
Keith
Membership number 38