munroman
80-90 Mem No: 0

Stutter

Post by munroman »

1915cc DF
LHD
Reimo Conversion

My first post.

The van pulls well, but sometime there is a 'stutter' as if the brakes have come on a little. (This can happen even on the level).The power drops off for a while, then on the next downhill it seems to get its breath back. I have changed filters, checked timing etc, but it still seems to be there. Sometimes it stalls at traffic lights.

Its my first VW, so I'm a little stuck for ideas!

Any help welcomed

DiscoDave
80-90 Mem No: 684

Post by DiscoDave »

running on lpg?? or not run at all for a while?? give it a good thrashing this may help!

T'Onion
80-90 Mem No: 255

Post by T'Onion »

I have changed filters
have you done the petrol one ?
victus in mutuo vicis
Ego mori tu mori

munroman

Stutter

Post by munroman »

Yes, I have changed the petrol filter. When I got the van, the petrol cap was missing, and it was raining. Could it be water in the tank, and if so, is there a way of flushing it out?

Thanks

munroman

Stutter

Post by munroman »

I have also noticed that there is a vibration when in top gear, its fine in 3rd, but at the same speed there is a definite 'buzz' type vibration in the van.
I have changed the little pipes around the carb and distributor, which were porous.

Many Thanks :?:

T'Onion
80-90 Mem No: 255

Post by T'Onion »

Yes, I have changed the petrol filter. When I got the van, the petrol cap was missing, and it was raining. Could it be water in the tank, and if so, is there a way of flushing it out?

me thinks that there could lay your problem .. and cos of the shape of the tank draining it is a problem unless you drop it out .. you could run it to near empty then jack it up on the passenger side then take the fuel line off the driver side and see if owt come out ( take the cap off as well), then replace the filter and refill with clean petrol .
victus in mutuo vicis
Ego mori tu mori

munroman

Stutter

Post by munroman »

Found the fault, the ignition leads were shot.
I had been told by the seller that they had been changed.

Going like a train now!

:P Many thanks to all who replied

matt
80-90 Mem No: 397

Post by matt »

nice

never assume anything
i know someone who sold a van cheap, co9s he'd spent hours chasing a probelm....
several owners later, turns out the new set of leads were from a faulty batch....£21 worth of new leads, job done
:)

skell
80-90 Mem No: 1297

Post by skell »

just for anyone wanting to drain the petrol tank, although the outlet for the fuel on the drivers side back edge of the tank, think the pick up for this is on the bottom centre (looked like this when I peered inside mine, so jacking one side might not help + you'll never get everything out without taking the tank off
skell
1984 AAZ twin slider 'velle