gearbox

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

dajwid
80-90 Mem No: 2290

gearbox

Post by dajwid »

I have a 1981 1.6d with a 4speed box. I am looking for a 5 speed box. I am sure anyone with the same bus as mine understands why. I am sick of being overtaken by old ladies on bikes.

What gearbox will fit? Golf I 1.6D Passat ???? I realise a transporter 1.6d fits but they are a little hard to come by.
any help would be really great. i have only had the bus a couple of months, love it to bits but she needs another gear.

Another questin is the ride is really soft (like in a boat) but over bumpy roads really noisy clunking and thumping. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance Dave
Member 2290

stuckin88
80-90 Mem No: 134

Post by stuckin88 »

Hi Dave!---I think you would be wasting your time fitting a 5 speed-you wouldnt get any improvement in performance---you need to find a 1.6 TD & fit that-----I'm sure our resident diesel wizard Thomas Hell will be along to help you soon--- :D
Billy...Defected to white box but still lurking.

andunp
80-90 Mem No: 2037

Post by andunp »

5 gear is only an overdrive anyway used for cruising you actually get more power from 4th deffo sounds like you need pore bhp than gears :wink:

dubsta
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by dubsta »

put an AAZ 1.9TD in and then get a decent 5 speed box. I've just had this done (from a 1.6na) - had a 5 speed in it before though 5th didn't make it any faster

After the swop - big difference - then make sure you get a decent box - I bought a 5 speed petrol box to go in it, be careful though as the one I bought is crappy.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

The 1.6D engine really is a bit gutless only have 50bhp as standard and its only going to go downhill with milage!

The first thing to look at is do you have the hp to push the van along with a higher top gear? If not (prob not with a 50bhp D) then it may be time to look at an alternative engine. There is lots of into in the "Alternative engine" forum on this but suffice to say you already have the converison parts you need to run a bigger engine with a nice factory looking conversion.

Gearboxes, you don't need to have a diesel gearbox. A petrol gearbox will fit aswell, you just need to swap the bellhousing, input shaft and front mount over. The 5 speed gearboxes are actually the weakest gearbox in the T25 and as others have pointed out, the extra gear you get is not an extra top gear, but an extra bottom gear.

That said, the 1.6D gearbox is the lowest ratio gearbox which came in the T25!

Why not keep an eye open for a 4 speed gearbox from a TD or petrol and swap the parts. It'll be a lot cheaper than a 5 speed.

MG

dajwid

Post by dajwid »

maybe I should explain my madness.

I am a Brit but live in Poland. i am moving back to the UK end of the summer. I plan on driving the van over. (getting rid of the Alfa romeo and Fiat cars) The engine is working hard most of the time as I spend lots of time on fast roads. i will be driving all the way to the UK thrashing the poor little 1.6D. I can get the work done very cheap a 1.6 rebuilt 5speed box cheap. I am looking at changing the engine in the future but it has only done 110,000 KM. I think I would be better swapping the engine in the UK (so you guys can help me out).

Do you really think I am chucking my money away? The box with labour will be about 200 quid.
Member 2290

Cate
80-90 Mem No: 1024
Location: Here & there on the Isle of Wight. 80-90 1024, sync 22, Goon.

Post by Cate »

I do feel that you would do better getting a bigger cc engine, as far as my experience goes the 1.6td is working had to haul a chuffing great van around, so a 1.6D must be working harder still. Best of luck.
Me!
..and here's the twist...I don't exist....

dajwid

Post by dajwid »

OK, been offered a cheap 6 speed box from a VW Passat B6 TDI. will it fit are will it need a lot of work?

:?:
Member 2290

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

a 6 speed wont fit.plus as said before you need to change the engine.a 5 speed box wont make any difference on a 1.6d engine....
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

dajwid

Post by dajwid »

shame as he only wants about a tenner for it :cry:

Ok looks like a struggle all the way across europe with the knackered 4 speed box :cry:
Member 2290

Cate
80-90 Mem No: 1024
Location: Here & there on the Isle of Wight. 80-90 1024, sync 22, Goon.

Post by Cate »

Take her gently and best of luck.
Me!
..and here's the twist...I don't exist....

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

Cate wrote:I do feel that you would do better getting a bigger cc engine, as far as my experience goes the 1.6td is working had to haul a chuffing great van around, so a 1.6D must be working harder still. Best of luck.

Same as the nice lady says,there ain't no substitute for cc's.

Re the 4 or 5 speed debate :- ours is 5,T'Onion's is 4 and coming back from Wensleydale it was a case of swings and roundabouts. He'd pull away on one bit and we'd catch up on others. Some people say 4 speed are stronger though .... VW maybe didn't think so though,'cos they replaced the 4 with the 5.

Ian.
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure