2.1 camshaft

General Technical Questions and Answers last answered over 1 year ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

wasserleaker
80-90 Mem No: 3058

2.1 camshaft

Post by wasserleaker »

HOWDOO!
Wondered if anyone knows of an alternative to vw main dealers for a new camshaft??
im rebuilding my 2.1 injection DJ engine, and have found that the cam lobes are worn, pitted and the hard layer has most likely worn off.
Sent it to Piper cams who do a reprofiling/reharden service for any cam, but they have'nt been able to find out enough info on the correct profile, timing etc. which is obviously critical, andso cant do it. main dealers want 225 quid for one :shock: and thats if they can get one, as some are obsolete i was told.
wonder what engine rebuilders do, replace with new? or reground/hardened? dont want to risk refitting old one as its likely to wear quicker if hard coating has gone, and chances of finding a good low miles s/h one with the right timing gear on are a bit unlikely.
any help or advice would be brilliant :wink:

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Post by toomanytoys »

Its quite rare for a wbx to wear out the cam.. unless bad oil/changes etc etc...
the lifters WILL need replacing too.. better of trying to find a "not totalled" MV or DJ (cam the same) engijne and salvage one... plenty of engine out there... so should be easy enough to come accross..

PM'd yer too...

wasserleaker

2.1camshaft

Post by wasserleaker »

Thanks Toomanytoys,
know of an MV 2.1 which i think has the same cam, a local breaker has got it in, but still undismantled, probably worth checking before parting with loadsamoney at a main dealer, a place in the states does em , new genuine vw, i found out ,but at 437 dollars, so probably not saving owt on main dealer price over here.

SteveW
80-90 Mem No: 2760

Post by SteveW »

If I remember correctly CB Performance do some hydro cams that you could use.
Also some good info here.

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewforum ... 2c41da89c4
Never enough time

wasserleaker

Post by wasserleaker »

Thanks, some interesting info on thatShopalkforum, Steve, still trying to decide what to do, but i think forking out for a genuine vw cam is looking like the best option, i just want the thing back together and on the road again. it seems to have spent more time in bits with various problems like the gearbox breaking, major leaks etc etc.! but im sure it'll be worth all the time and effort when its sorted. when it was running well [briefly!] i was well impressed with how it went, so keeping things standard seems the way to go. spose it deserves a bit of money throwing at its rebuild after 220thous. kilometers, might have been well thrashed by previous owners.