Overhauling 5 speed gearbox linkage

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Re: Overhauling 5 speed gearbox linkage

Post by CovKid »

You've got a 4-speed change coupled to a 5-speed box then

4-speed:

Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Smiffo
80-90 Mem No: 15151

Post by Smiffo »

CovKid wrote:You've got a 4-speed change coupled to a 5-speed box then

4-speed:

Ah, I see - Thanks.
To resolve the poor gear shifting issue, what would I need to source?
This is definitely going to have to wait though - everytime I dare peek at this site, I add a bit more to my list of to-do's and end up bleeding money..!!

:run

To wrap my head around it, which bits are specifically different between 4sp and 5sp components?
Is it just the gear stick, and box/housing that sits underneath it ( in my photo? )
'89 1.9 DG

“It's Easier to Fool People Than It Is to Convince Them That They Have Been Fooled.” ~ Mark Twain.

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Your chances of sourcing a complete 5-speed gearchange are slim. Everything 5-speed tends to be. Moreover theres little if any advantage having a 5-speed compared to a 4-speed. I think this subject came up in a thread a while back (ie 4-speed change working on a 5-speed box). Others may have thoughts on this one. You should, to some extent, be able to make minor adjustments to sweeten the change - providing box is actually a good one.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Smiffo

Post by Smiffo »

CovKid wrote:Your chances of sourcing a complete 5-speed gearchange are slim. Everything 5-speed tends to be. Moreover theres little if any advantage having a 5-speed compared to a 4-speed. I think this subject came up in a thread a while back (ie 4-speed change working on a 5-speed box). Others may have thoughts on this one. You should, to some extent, be able to make minor adjustments to sweeten the change - providing box is actually a good one.

Thanks CovKid.

Just for clarity, is it just the gearstick aspect ( with attachments ) and housing underneath that is different?
'89 1.9 DG

“It's Easier to Fool People Than It Is to Convince Them That They Have Been Fooled.” ~ Mark Twain.

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Never had the two side by side although the WIKI covers both so you may get a better idea of the difference in connections.

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Post by Titus A Duxass »

My mate is and has been running a four change on a five box for a while.
With a good set up it easy to learn where the gears are.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

On a 5-speed, there are two aluminium blocks at the bottom of the change box although I found they weren't that crucial to changing as I could do it without them. It sounds like you may need a little tweak to the linkage to get it right - not uncommon.

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

I have a spare repaired & reinforced 5-speed petrol rhd lever and change box available, c/w good "pyramids".
I may have the rods available too as its all coming out for the UN-1 but I dont know what i will need at present.

Smiffo

Post by Smiffo »

Titus A Duxass wrote:My mate is and has been running a four change on a five box for a while.
With a good set up it easy to learn where the gears are.
CovKid wrote:On a 5-speed, there are two aluminium blocks at the bottom of the change box although I found they weren't that crucial to changing as I could do it without them. It sounds like you may need a little tweak to the linkage to get it right - not uncommon.

Thanks Cov kid + Titus. I know what you mean, it is a `knack` I have aquired when changing gear now, but it irritates me when the van is cold - all of a sudden I feel like a one-man-band drummer, double pushing the clutch and trying ever so hard not to crunch the gears.
Seems OK when the engine is warm, and the choke hasn't got the revs too high though.

silverbullet wrote:I have a spare repaired & reinforced 5-speed petrol rhd lever and change box available, c/w good "pyramids".
I may have the rods available too as its all coming out for the UN-1 but I dont know what i will need at present.

Thanks SB.

Do you know if the rods and rest of the bits are the same between 4 and 5 speed too?

I have bust my budget for this month, but would certainly like to get my set-up as nice as it can be.
I will send you a PM. If you haven't dismantled your van yet, that will give us some time to work with.

I might surprise my misses with some T25 bits for XMAS...!!! :rollin
'89 1.9 DG

Titus A Duxass

Post by Titus A Duxass »

Smiffo wrote: Titus. I know what you mean, it is a `knack` I have aquired when changing gear now, but it irritates me when the van is cold - all of a sudden I feel like a one-man-band drummer, double pushing the clutch and trying ever so hard not to crunch the gears.
Seems OK when the engine is warm, and the choke hasn't got the revs too high though.

I have you changed the gearbox oil?
It may help with the cold changes.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

Smiffo

Post by Smiffo »

Titus A Duxass wrote:
Smiffo wrote: Titus. I know what you mean, it is a `knack` I have aquired when changing gear now, but it irritates me when the van is cold - all of a sudden I feel like a one-man-band drummer, double pushing the clutch and trying ever so hard not to crunch the gears.

I have you changed the gearbox oil?
It may help with the cold changes.

Hi Titus.

I haven't yet, no, which is something I will get onto now.
Is there a preffered brand of gearbox oil to use on these vans? ( as per prefered coolant etc ).
'89 1.9 DG

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

http://www.wilko.com/car-care-products/ ... vt/0077164" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Titus A Duxass

Post by Titus A Duxass »

VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

Smiffo

Post by Smiffo »

Titus A Duxass wrote:There is a bit of info in WiKi - http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/Ge ... earbox_oil

Cheers boys..!!
'89 1.9 DG

Smiffo

Post by Smiffo »

Morning all.

A bit of an update on my progress with this.

You may or may not remember, but it transpired that I had 4sp housing and gearstick, coupled with 5sp box.
Now, a few weeks ago, my local garage said they could source the bits required for 5sp gearstick and housing and have it sorted before I get back from holiday.

The short story is that almost 4 weeks later I am still finding it hard to source the bits.
( Garage had bits sent, but they were 4sp and LHD stick etc etc etc. )

I have sourced a 5sp RHD gearstick, but the housing is proving tricky for two reasons - scarcity and there seem to be two variants...

So, I was looking for some knowledge here if possible:

The OP ( MM ) seems to have a 5sp housing that is larger than those posted later in this thread on page4 by RustyShackleford.

Now, I have seen the photos of the OP, and it looks like his van has a large ridge or raised area between the seats - so my question is simple - is that why his housing seems to be larger ( taller ) than Rusty's, to compensate for the raised area in the van and as such needs to be taller to ensure it is low enough to join to the linkage?

Am I also right in assuming that all housings are 5sp if they have the aluminium guides in them?
( You can see these in both the OP and Rusty's pictures, but they don't appear in any pictures of 4sp housings, and I am trying to source spares through photos online because often the seller isn't confident whether it is 5 or 4sp etc. )

One last question - The OP also mentions a `reverse gear lock` on his 5sp van. This looks like it is on the linkage fom the photos, rather than gearstick etc, as seen on page 1. Does this mean that the linkage differs between 4 and 5sp vans?

I am half tempted to get the van back and do it myself, but I want to know exactly what I am getting into before starting it.
( Failing that I could source the housing and take it to the garage, but I am not confident they know exactly what differences there are either, and I want ot avoid himstarting it, then needing to get even more parts. )

I know this is a long post, but I'm already b@lls deep into it now, and as Churchill said; When you are in hell, you keep going..!!

Thanks in advance for any pointers.
'89 1.9 DG