Cleaning your engine

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Cleaning your engine

Post by ghost123uk »

I know many people like what is called in the trade as an "honest looking engine" but the one in my new, temporary T25 whilst oil free is very mucky and dusty, unlike the rest of the van which is MINT.
So, I want to clean the engine !

Steam cleaner :shock:

Gunk and hosepipe ?

Gunk then jet-wash (at the garage) ?
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

Mickyfin
80-90 Mem No: 10312

Re: Cleaning your engine

Post by Mickyfin »

Gunk does work wonders, but can get quite messy. If you don't have access to a steam cleaner, then providing you seal off your electrics, coil, dizzy, and whatnot, and soak everything with gunk, or alike a few minutes before, then jetwash carefully.
Owner of Flintstone, our T3/25 Caravelle C Syncro 1.9 Petrol.

New Kentish Campers
80-90 Mem No: 8994

Post by New Kentish Campers »

Gunk and hosepipe

Dont use Gunk if you have have a tarmac drive, i.e letting it get in contact with it, 'cos it wont be tarmac for much longer. As I found out a while back :oops:

ghost123uk

Post by ghost123uk »

Mickyfin wrote: If you don't have access to a steam cleaner,

I remember when every garage had a steam cleaner, but these days they seem to be quite rare :(
I would carefully use a steam cleaner (after putting some protective sheets on the white rear interior) if I could find one !

Mickyfin wrote:then providing you seal off your electrics, coil, dizzy, and whatnot, and soak everything with gunk, or alike a few minutes before,

You know, I have occationally washed / jetwashed my main vans (DG on Carb) engine wirthout taking any water ingress precautions and have never had a problem (stupid thing to say, tempting fate that is !!)

Mickyfin wrote:Gunk ~ then jetwash carefully.

That was the bit I was worried about, the Caravelle is still in Mini Bus form and the inside, right back to the engine lid is very very white and clean. The thought of yucky gunky goo splashing up inside onto the white vinyl etc is a major concern !
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

ghost123uk

Post by ghost123uk »

New Kentish Campers wrote:
Gunk and hosepipe

Dont use Gunk if you have have a tarmac drive, i.e letting it get in contact with it, 'cos it wont be tarmac for much longer. As I found out a while back :oops:

Aye true !

Plus, if you are doing it outside your house (i.e. where the hose pipe is) then it leaves a mess on the road that the neighbours don't like.

Hence my thinking, Gunk it at a jet-wash garage, then blow off with the jet wash.

jamesc76
80-90 Mem No: 1186

Post by jamesc76 »

I did a t25 engine, covered all around the hatch with polythene, then used trailer wash, or traffic film remover, followed by a pressure washer, just make sure the engine is running whilst ya do it, then if it conks whilst washing it you know where you have just blasted!
DJ at Dubdayz Summerfest
Now cutting about in an LT35 MWB

ghost123uk

Post by ghost123uk »

jamesc76 wrote:I did a t25 engine, covered all around the hatch with polythene, then used trailer wash, or traffic film remover, followed by a pressure washer, just make sure the engine is running whilst ya do it, then if it conks whilst washing it you know where you have just blasted!

Cheers James, that was what I thought might be the best approach (with a garage pressure washer)

KINGPRAWN
80-90 Mem No: 9516

Post by KINGPRAWN »

pay to have it done by a valeter...they use fab stuff that leaves everything glossy. gunk always leaves things powdery grey and dull. also if you go to a garage and it wont start after....yer stuffed :ok
in too deep to quit now....

ghost123uk

Post by ghost123uk »

KINGPRAWN wrote:pay to have it done by a valeter...they use fab stuff that leaves everything glossy. gunk always leaves things powdery grey and dull. also if you go to a garage and it wont start after....yer stuffed :ok

Now I had not thought of that - I wonder what type of valeters do it ? - They won't make a mess of my nice whit interior or if they do they will have to clear it up !

Mickyfin
80-90 Mem No: 10312

Post by Mickyfin »

I used to be a valeter many moons ago back in the UK. We had a steam cleaner, and its far more controllable than a jetwash, I can tell you that much. Wouldn't be too challenging for them to sort your engine out mate. Word of warning though, if you do find a valeters that do steam cleaning, ask to see some examples of their work first before letting them clean yours.
Owner of Flintstone, our T3/25 Caravelle C Syncro 1.9 Petrol.

KINGPRAWN
80-90 Mem No: 9516

Post by KINGPRAWN »

I lavish my cash twice a year on a proper valet.. We have a chap nearby that collects and returns and does a showroom clean inside and out, uses a waterless system?? So no peeling off paint! Or blasting wTer into places that it can't usually get to(rust) and she comes back like new and all for £45.....best money I ever spend...excluding my £2 donation here!!! :ok
in too deep to quit now....

Steve T
80-90 Mem No: 5058

Post by Steve T »

What about a steam cleaner attachment for a wallpaper stripper, more close control, less water, less pressure, less mess ( you could put a plastic sheet with lots of paper to soak up the muck underneath the engine on the floor) closer working to see the hard to get places. You could still use gunk and old paintbrush for the stubborn stuff. The problem with pressure washers they get water into all the places you don’t want water, mostly back on you wherever you stand
1984 1.9 DG Holdsworth Hi-Top

Fritz
80-90 Mem No: 380

Post by Fritz »

Proper stuff to use is neat Jizer on all parts other than electrical stuff such as Dizzy ,,,,,simply brush on and hose off.
You should be left with an Oil free engine and compartment with a hint of fresh engine aroma.

Trouble is these days you can pay between 15 -25 quid for 5 litres depending on where you buy it from......

Regards

Fritz,,,,

PS,,,, On line has the best deals.... :ok
One day you will find me,,
Driving in my Camper,
With a Surf and Paisley wrap on both sides....

ghost123uk

Post by ghost123uk »

Aye, I remember Jizer, it was better than Gunk but I have not seen it for sale for years.

I will try local valeters, if no luck will look for some Jizer :ok

faggie

Post by faggie »

use elbow grease its really cheap then wash of with a hosepipe and its water soluble so wont make a mess of your new drive loads better than jizer