Curtains and curtain tape

The Tardis factor (interiors , awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

toyclean
80-90 Mem No: 8059

Curtains and curtain tape

Post by toyclean »

Hi all, I could do with some opinions on a problem that's more annoying than it should be!

When I bought my T25 autosleeper the previous owners had made their own curtains using standard curtain tape. The problem is they just keep coming off the runners, which I think are original, I think because the string that hooks over is quite thin. When I looked at the original curtains the tape doesn't use string at all, they have material loops.

So, does anyone else have this problem with replacement curtains?

Does anyone with an autosleeper use the originals and do they actually stay on?

And, is this one of the many quirks I'm just going to have to live with?

I'd consider paying to get some made but they would absolutely have to stay on those runners! Aaaarrrgggh, it's so annoying.

Thanks.
Michael
One year-ish anniversary owner of a 1989 T25 Autosleeper Trident

whitevan woman
80-90 Mem No: 9130

Re: Curtains and curtain tape

Post by whitevan woman »

Mine have the 1" heading tape on but they aren't attached by the string part of the tape, my hooks go through the bits inbetween.
Do you have a picture?
1Y Danbury tin top, restoration now in progress!

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

As above - the string is only for pleating the curtains not for hanging from! If you look carefully you should see that there is a tape like piece where the hooks go in.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

toyclean

Post by toyclean »

Yikes, I may actually have been hanging curtains wrong my whole life! I'm in a state of deep confusion now, if I didn't have to have a couple of drinks after work I'd be rushing home to check.

Doh!

Timwhy
80-90 Mem No: 9058

Post by Timwhy »

toyclean wrote:Hi all, I could do with some opinions on a problem that's more annoying than it should be!

When I bought my T25 autosleeper the previous owners had made their own curtains using standard curtain tape. The problem is they just keep coming off the runners, which I think are original, I think because the string that hooks over is quite thin. When I looked at the original curtains the tape doesn't use string at all, they have material loops.

So, does anyone else have this problem with replacement curtains?

Does anyone with an autosleeper use the originals and do they actually stay on?

And, is this one of the many quirks I'm just going to have to live with?

I'd consider paying to get some made but they would absolutely have to stay on those runners! Aaaarrrgggh, it's so annoying.

Thanks.
Michael

I think what you are looking for is called Wrinkle Band Tape. When I had new curtains made for my Westy I bought a few yards of the stuff from the company in the link. http://www.curtain-tracks.com/recmar-30 ... -tape.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The curtains have never come off their tracks yet, also picked up a liftime supply of the plastic hooks too. They are so much cheaper than the specialty shops sell for.
1987 Westy
What the Westy Wants,The Westy Gets

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_ ... ts=summary" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oldiebut goodie

That is just ordinary common or garden curtain pleating tape - well it is this side of the pond. :mrgreen: The pieces that you can see either side of the hooks contain the string that is pulled tight to form the pleats.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

Timwhy

Post by Timwhy »

Oldiebut goodie wrote:That is just ordinary common or garden curtain pleating tape - well it is this side of the pond. :mrgreen: The pieces that you can see either side of the hooks contain the string that is pulled tight to form the pleats.

Actually, no this tape doesn't. If you pull the strings nothing will happen in the way of pleating.

As per the website
White cotton wrinkle band tape is 1 inch wide and provides threaded loops to attach 4141 and 4142 wrinkle band hooks to curtains and drapes. This tape is sewn to the top of the curtains to provide an easy means to use hooks with curtains that are not pinch pleated.
1987 Westy

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_ ... ts=summary" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oldiebut goodie

Hang on, I'll just go and look in my sewing box - I may still have some in there!
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

Oldiebut goodie

None in there! I'll find the curtains that I made and take a photo - honest it looks exactly like that on the website and the strings are for pleating (that doesn't mean that you have to do so though). That type is used when you don't need the stiffer heading standing proud for the curtain to cover the track.
I am surprised that they manufacture it with the pleating strings in if they don't work! Why bother? :lol:
But then things are different over there! :mrgreen:
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

Timwhy

Post by Timwhy »

Oldiebut goodie wrote:Hang on, I'll just go and look in my sewing box - I may still have some in there!

Me too, except my box is a plastic grocery bag. I pulled one of the strings and it did pleat. I stand corrected, however when it was sewn onto my curtains. It was sewn on the end vertically so the tape could be used to string on the hooks. It does what it suppose to do in my application, keeps the hooks in place and the curtain gliding back and forth on its track.
Thanks.....Tim

BTW what is Mr Green?
1987 Westy

toyclean

Post by toyclean »

Ah but the curtain runners in my van are different, they're not the eyelet type as in Timwhy's pic, they are the slot in kind so don't take those curly curtain hook things. Check out my mastery of these curtain technical terms! Maybe my runners are inferior and I just need to replace them.

The sun is shining and I'm off work so I'll be pootling in the van today, I'll investigate further.

Cheers.
MT

Timwhy

Post by Timwhy »

toyclean wrote:Ah but the curtain runners in my van are different, they're not the eyelet type as in Timwhy's pic, they are the slot in kind so don't take those curly curtain hook things. Check out my mastery of these curtain technical terms! Maybe my runners are inferior and I just need to replace them.

The sun is shining and I'm off work so I'll be pootling in the van today, I'll investigate further.

Cheers.
MT

Different runners (Glides- Slides) may just be what you need. That website has them too and at a few cheaper price than the usual suspects do. I kind of like the black glides.http://www.curtain-tracks.com/hardware/ ... slide.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Can you post a picture of how they are mounted?
1987 Westy

toyclean

Post by toyclean »

That's true, my choice was either different runners/glides or different tape on tne curtains (there were no loops between the string. Thankfully I've still got the original curtains with the original tape sooooooooo,

Off to the local dry cleaner that does repairs, alterations etc, to get the old tape taken off the old curtains and sewn onto the newer curtains. First shop quoted £48, second shop quoted £10, result. So, I'll see how it turns out when I collect them on Wednesday.

Meanwhile I roller painted the top bit of the camper roof, first go at this, lots of bubbles, boo!

Thanks for your advice folks.

roberts-t25
80-90 Mem No: 8523

Post by roberts-t25 »

We have a 1990 Autosleeper with original curtains, and ours keep falling off! The runners and "hooks are a bit unusual as they are just a little nobble really and the string from inside the tape just sort of clings for dear life, lol. They are generally ok it's usually just the ends of the curtains that frequently come unhooked.
"If you want something in life, you have to work for it. Now hush, they're announcing the lottery numbers"

toyclean

Post by toyclean »

Excellent, a fellow curtain problem person! Are you sure they're original though? My originals don't have the strong in the tape, there are just equally spaced slits in the tape that fit over those little nobbly bits perfectly, and they stay on, shame they're a disgusting pink colour and all worn!

Anyway will get the modified ones back tomorrow with the old tape removed and stitched on to the new flowery and lined curtains.

Hopefully they'll stay on.

MT