Page 1 of 2

Glove box Repair

Posted: 13 Aug 2026, 19:39
by mioba
So after years of being fed up with the glovebox dropping down and the contents falling over the floor I decided to repair it.

The two retaining latches as you know snap.

Yes the latches that you need to bend inwards to drop the glovebox.

The latches themselves are a replaceable part and had the original VW part numbers 251857159 & 251857160.

There is never a need to replace a good glovebox if the latches are snapped.

The old latches are glued onto the insides of the glovebox and a thin strong screw driver between the latch and glove box gets them off, aided by the blows of a hammer.

I have seen the likes of SHC do the latches. But with all respect the price is a tad high for what they are.

So a search online found the 3D print file.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5044172

So off to a local 3D printer who made them from ABS plastic for the princely sum of 3 pounds each. They are spot on.

Back home 3 dobs of araldite glue in the same place as the originals, clamped then and a couple of pop rivets for good measure.

The glovebox is happy and so am I.

Now there is also a strap. One end of the strap hooks on the back of the glovebox and the other end sits in a recess in the metal work at the back of the glovebox. I assume VW added this to allow lowering the glovebox without it tipping fully to gain access at the back.

Again I had this 3D printed included in the above price.

The file is found here:

https://www.printables.com/model/601887 ... ap/related

The strap is not essential. But ad many of us are A. Then theres your dinner.

I know we cant upload pics on the site and I am
not one for opening another account on a hosting site.

I hope the above is helpful.

Re: Glove box Repair

Posted: 15 Aug 2026, 17:16
by silverbullet
You don't need an account to use postimages, its free to use.

postimg.cc

Re: Glove box Repair

Posted: 18 Aug 2026, 06:45
by mioba

Re: Glove box Repair

Posted: 18 Aug 2026, 06:47
by mioba

Re: Glove box Repair

Posted: 18 Aug 2026, 18:24
by silverbullet
Post the "hotlink for forums"

Re: Glove box Repair

Posted: 18 Aug 2026, 19:07
by R0B
Here you go.
Image

Re: Glove box Repair

Posted: 19 Aug 2026, 09:31
by mioba
Thanks guys for facilitating the pic post and "teaching me". Everyday is a school day.

Re: Glove box Repair

Posted: 19 Aug 2026, 09:35
by hotpod
this was an informative thread thanks. I hadnt spotted that they were a seperate part. Mine is just held up by the thin strap thing.
I am just off to my brothers house to collect my new parts to try  :D ( he has a 3d printer and did them for me yesterday)

Re: Glove box Repair

Posted: 19 Aug 2026, 10:14
by mioba
Glad it helped. Pist some pics - no excuses now

Re: Glove box Repair

Posted: 19 Aug 2026, 11:01
by hotpod
standby:

Re: Glove box Repair

Posted: 19 Aug 2026, 15:42
by mioba
Still standing by.....

Re: Glove box Repair

Posted: 19 Aug 2026, 16:05
by R0B
Im in the process of doing mine. Hooks printed by Mick (tobydog) Thanks mate.
Image

Re: Glove box Repair

Posted: 19 Aug 2026, 19:20
by tobydog
Thought I'd printed some....

Re: Glove box Repair

Posted: 19 Aug 2026, 20:42
by hotpod
Image
Image
Image
 

Re: Glove box Repair

Posted: 19 Aug 2026, 20:45
by hotpod
They have to bend quite a lot to get them to go back under the dash and to release again.
The 3d prints went a bit soft at the bendy bit which will help in the long term although I think a slight redesign might be in order. They don't need to be quite that robust. I managed with just one for 20 years and then the strappy thing for the last year  :D