2.0 CU Starting issues. Sorted :-)

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

TheRealExile
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: 2.0 CU Starting issues.

Post by TheRealExile »

New piece of fuel pipe to the tank and filter now in place, I'll replace the rest later, was hoping to get it running first.

New earth strap, nut, bolt and washers now fitted with a rub/sand down of where contact is made with the chassis.

In positive news, the starter motor now turns over nicely and the earth seems to have done the trick there :-) thank you to those who suggested I take a look there :-) at least the starter motor is good.

Still no fuel to the carb though, I can see fuel in the filter though, I have noticed the fuel pipe a little after the filter drops from 5mm to a much smaller pipe almost washer pipe diameter then close to the fuel pump goes back to 5mm... is this correct? 🤔 also noticed it is quite tightly tied and then goes up behind what looks like a big heater/vent type pipe and then back down towards the pump, it's travelling uphill, again is that correct? Perhaps it is as it has clearly been that way for a long time.

lefty67
80-90 Mem No: 11783

Post by lefty67 »

Have you managed to put the new fuel pump on yet?
1.9td AAZ

T25 - an adventure before dementia

TheRealExile

Post by TheRealExile »

Not yet, the rest of the fuel lines and the pump are next on my hit list.

I need to get a better trolley jack, this one was meant for the Capri and only gets the Van high enough for the lowest setting on the axle stands, I think with better visibility I might have half a chance of getting at the fuel pump bolt I currently can't see!

lefty67
80-90 Mem No: 11783

Post by lefty67 »

TheRealExile wrote: 08 May 2024, 18:13 Not yet, the rest of the fuel lines and the pump are next on my hit list.

I need to get a better trolley jack, this one was meant for the Capri and only gets the Van high enough for the lowest setting on the axle stands, I think with better visibility I might have half a chance of getting at the fuel pump bolt I currently can't see!

Keep going mate, you'll crack it eventually then you can enjoy the summer in the van 😉
1.9td AAZ

T25 - an adventure before dementia

TheRealExile

Post by TheRealExile »

I replaced the section between the fuel filter and where the pipe reduces as I noticed this had split 🙄

New bit.

What does this piece of metal work do? I'm going to have to try take it off as it blocks access to the 2nd fuel pump bolt
.Image

TheRealExile

Post by TheRealExile »

Got a little more time today, replaced the section from the fuel pump up to the engine bay and the fuel pump to the tank section where it reduces in size.

Looks like a 2010 date on the old pipe, both split and stiff as a board!

I can hear bubbles in the tank when blowing down the pipe so I know that is all clear.

Still struggling to get at the fuel pump top bolt though, think I'm going to get it up in the air at the tyre place, I get his ramp, while he fits 4 new tyres on to rims, sounds fair to me :-) (mine are all sidewall cracked)

And finally this is why we wear our safety glasses....

Not sure the Bilt Hamber that tried to drip in to my eye would have been very nice!

Rosie n' Jim

Post by Rosie n' Jim »

The duct blocking your access to the top bolt is a warm air feed to the air filter box. Only active in cold weather to reduce carb icing.
1982 Holdsworth poptop. 2L CU Aircooled.
1982 Danbury tintop Caravelle. 2L CU Aircooled.

TheRealExile

Post by TheRealExile »

Thank you, I shall try get it out of the way :-)

RogerT
80-90 Mem No: 13706

Post by RogerT »

You were asking about trolley jacks, a few of us use SGS 3 tonne trolley jacks

I have https://www.sgs-engineering.com/garage- ... olley-jack but it’s out of stock. Very heavy, but why would you want to carry it. There’s also https://www.sgs-engineering.com/tj3x-3-ton-trolley-jack , costs a wee bit more and doesn’t reach quite as high, but it’s in stock.
Have you ever seen an unhappy fool?

88 Transporter with hitop camper conversion, 1.6td.

TheRealExile

Post by TheRealExile »

Thank you, look good for the price :-)

TheRealExile

Post by TheRealExile »

She lives :-)

New fuel pump, fires on first turn :-)

Runs okay, we went for a little shakedown run and I duly found the speedo isn't working and the fuel gauge seems to work on hills!

I'll have a poke around with the speedo.

Just pleased we have life :-)

We went for a little drive and got 4 new tyres too, historic declared, and tax sorted etc.

Once again thank you for all the advice :-)

Loads more to sort so many more questions to follow, hope you all don't mind.