What does turbo diesel mean ?

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

wbmkk
80-90 Mem No: 9757

What does turbo diesel mean ?

Post by wbmkk »

Before I start, I want to say .. I'm not really sure what I am talking about, but please bear with me.

Just keep in mind .. I have a T25 Turbo diesel 'G-reg' van 

A friend of mine has a converted campervan that recently had an MOT. He was told the emissions were high, but not high enough to fail. When asked about it, he explained that he drives his van quite slowly. the mechanic told him, the turbo wasn't kicking in enough, so the engine was being clogged up. The mechanic added, that it only kicked in at 2500 rpm and was in fact a good thing .. running on high revs for a while every so often.

I've never really thought about that sort of thing .. don't even know what a turbo diesel does, so I am wondering whether I should be doing the same .. every so often let the revs build up before changing gear.

thank you
Van : 1989 1.6 TD Water Cooled California

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Re: What does turbo diesel mean ?

Post by silverbullet »

RogerT
80-90 Mem No: 13706

Post by RogerT »

If your engine is original (i.e. a 1.6litre JX turbo diesel) then you can’t avoid the turbo kicking in. It’s small, underpowered (in modern terms of reference, anyway) and needs the turbo spinning to have any hope of shoving your bus along. If it’s not an original engine, you’ll have a 1.9 turbo diesel most likely, a more modern replacement for the original engine. I know nothing about them, aside from having had various examples in other cars.

Then again, it’s not quite as simple as that…. If your engine is original, it’s over 30 yrs old, it may or may not have been messed about with by previous owners or incompetent mechanics, and it may or may not be functioning as a ‘turbo’ diesel.

Acquiring a bit of know how is invaluable, as is knowledge of what engine is actually fitted.

Post a photo of it?
Have you ever seen an unhappy fool?

88 Transporter with hitop camper conversion, 1.6td.

RogerT

Post by RogerT »

Ah, just looking at your previous posts shows you have a 1.6, so a JX. Nice wee engine when it working well.

No worries about getting the turbo spinning occasionally, it’s impossible to drive without spinning up the turbo unless you drive slower than a pensioner with a walking frame.

You may even be able to feel the turbo kicking in, but maybe not if it’s a bit of a heavy camper.

Does your initial query suggest that you can’t feel the turbo kicking in?? If so, it’s easily possible that it isn’t, let us know…

wbmkk
80-90 Mem No: 9757

Post by wbmkk »

OP here

Thank you for your replies.

No, not the original engine .. I had it replaced a few years ago, and that wasn't a new one .. I say 'had it replaced' .. really means I had to have it replaced .. blew up !

I'll take a picture tomorrow .. it's pouring down now

UPDATE !

Sorry, I don't know how to upload a picture
Last edited by wbmkk on 16 Aug 2023, 14:34, edited 1 time in total.
Van : 1989 1.6 TD Water Cooled California

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Post by davidoft1 »

RogerT wrote: 14 Aug 2023, 15:37 If your engine is original (i.e. a 1.6litre JX turbo diesel) then you can’t avoid the turbo kicking in. It’s small, underpowered (in modern terms of reference, anyway) and needs the turbo spinning to have any hope of shoving your bus along. If it’s not an original engine, you’ll have a 1.9 turbo diesel most likely, a more modern replacement for the original engine. I know nothing about them, aside from having had various examples in other cars.

Then again, it’s not quite as simple as that…. If your engine is original, it’s over 30 yrs old, it may or may not have been messed about with by previous owners or incompetent mechanics, and it may or may not be functioning as a ‘turbo’ diesel.

Acquiring a bit of know how is invaluable, as is knowledge of what engine is actually fitted.

Post a photo of it?

It’s quite easy to run a jx with no or almost no boost all the time , needs to be up near 4000rpm regularly to keep soot etc to a minimum

RogerT

Post by RogerT »

I stand corrected