plastic burning smell..

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Cherylp
80-90 Mem No: 11709

plastic burning smell..

Post by Cherylp »

im so bloody upset, was due to give my van over to my daughter and her boyfriend to go off next weekend and i took it out for a spin today, after charging a totally flat battery and after about half an hour driving i could smell a strong plasticy burning smell which is coming from the back.. as i am a total idiot when it comes to mechanics/cars/vans, i have no idea what it can be but it drove home ok.. :?
of course i need to take it into the garage, but im afraid it will a)cost a ton of money and b)that my daughters trip will have to be put off.. any ideas?.. or is it a case of 'how long is a piece o string?'
muckyhen.blogspot.com/

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Re: plastic burning smell..

Post by CovKid »

Sure its from the back? Those kind of smells can drift, particularly the fusebox which tends to hug the floor before circulating back. Have a good check of fusebox - particularly fuse for fan (which may have come on today as its hot) or blower motor fuse. Its not uncommon to see people fit bigger fuses in there (or even tin foil!) to combat them blowing and then they can heat up in the fusebox.

OR

It could be a dead short somewhere in the back which may have caused battery to go flat?

This thread probably needs moving to electrics forum though as all the sparkeys inhabit that closet and will probably come up with some suggestions.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

colinthefox
80-90 Mem No: 16447

Post by colinthefox »

A common source of hot plastic smell is the cable that goes from the alternator to the starter motor terminal (or to the black box in the engine bay as appropriate). When the alternator is working hard, as after a flat battery for instance, these wires can get hot, and I've seen several instances of these having melted insulation. The acid gases released by hot PVC insulation can corrode these cables right through. If replacing this cable it's worth using fatter wire.

Worth checking out.
1.9D (AEF) pop-top. Aaaaahhhhh........that's better.

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Following on from above - was the leisure battery flat also? If so it may have been undersized cabling to/from split charge overheating.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

kentishvanman
80-90 Mem No: 875

Post by kentishvanman »

Hi,
Similar happened to me many years back. It turned out to be the relay switch in the battery compartment.
Was the smell noticeable when you were going along? If so I would have thought the problem was nearer to you than the engine compartment.
Best of luck.
Don
1987/8 Autosleeper, 1.9dg (Automatic) hightop. Petrol/ LPG

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Post by Ralf85 »

As I said in my pm this problem could be any number of issues. You charged the battery up. If the battery cover was not put back properly with the positive side of the battery insulated properly from it, it could be shorting out and melted the cable connection. Good luck and let us know what the problem was.

Cherylp

Post by Cherylp »

thank you so much everyone.. im going to drive her into my local garage today. no-one has mentioned the clutch.. does that mean you all dont think its that?.. :? ... oh i wish i knew more about van mechanics right now.. thanks everyone i will let you know x
muckyhen.blogspot.com/

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Won't be clutch. It won't smell like that and you're unlikely to smell it inside the vehicle. Hot plastic smell more likely to be electrics or some plastic pipe sitting on an exhaust pipe. Trust your nose.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Cherylp

Post by Cherylp »

it turns out it wasnt anything at all... :) trip went well
muckyhen.blogspot.com/

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Post by Ralf85 »

Hey, welcome back Cheryl. I hope you are having fun in your toy!

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Did you take the long way back? That was a year ago. :shock:

jrt
80-90 Mem No: 10288

Post by jrt »

I see the van is now in the for sale section.
David
the future is unwritten

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

How could it be nothing at all.A burning plastic smell must be something.I'm confused.
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

Sir Brixalot
80-90 Mem No: 8927

Post by Sir Brixalot »

You lot sound suspicious :wink:
Honorary "Dave" 

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Maybe its one of those leap-year threads where someone posts, then a year later someone replies, then a year later... :D