Electrolux fridge - travel catch

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

CJH
80-90 Mem No: 12576

Electrolux fridge - travel catch

Post by CJH »

Does anybody have a picture of what the travel catch looks like on an Electrolux RM122 fridge? Mine's been missing since I've had it. I'm guessing there's a pin screwed into the threaded hole in the chrome bracket. The orange piece in the photo below is what I fished out of the hole in the top of the door - I suspect it's the remains of a plastic bush that's supposed to line that hole, rather than the remains of the pin, but I can't be sure.

This looks like it might be the pin, although if that threaded section screws into the hole in the chrome bracket then the pin itself is going to be very thin. I've also seen this, but that doesn't seem to be anything more than the plastic equivalent of the nail I'm using at the moment!

And I can't find any trace of a replacement bush for the top of the door. Any suggestions/photos would be welcome.
"I'm a man of means, by no means....King of the Road!"

1983 Viking Xplorer, 2.1DJ

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Re: Electrolux fridge - travel catch

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

That looks like a hinge bracket to me!
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

80-90 Mem No: 3299

Post by 1664 »

This is a RM212f

Most folk use a golf tee in place of the pin. I think that orange piece of plastic of yours just sits in the top of the door and is the bit the pin pushes into.

Oldiebut goodie wrote:That looks like a hinge bracket to me!
I think they look pretty similar but the hinge doesn't have a hole right the way through

Vorsprung Durch Technik my ar$e!

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Sorry should have written more - a non-standard domestic fridge hinge bracket. Camping fridge hinge and catch brackets are invariably plastic aren't they?
Just had a look at the link to the pin - that does seem to be the correct part, posh fridge with chrome etc!
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

80-90 Mem No: 3299

Post by 1664 »

Oldiebut goodie wrote:Sorry should have written more - a non-standard domestic fridge hinge bracket. Camping fridge hinge and catch brackets are invariably plastic aren't they?
Just had a look at the link to the pin - that does seem to be the correct part, posh fridge with chrome etc!
Chris's camper is the Xplorer. My Dad had one back in the eighties and I seem to remember the hinges were chrome - I think the pin was orange too, but I am old and permanently baffled so I could be wrong.
Vorsprung Durch Technik my ar$e!

CJH

Post by CJH »

Thanks gents. The chrome part is certainly the same as the part on the hinge side. I found a spare plastic bush in the unused hole in the bottom right corner of the door surround. And I noticed that the bush in the top left of the door is orange like the bit I retrieved. So I think I might get that plastic pin, and if it doesn't fit the threaded hole in the chrome bracket I could always tap it out a bit to suit.

CJH

Post by CJH »

I've been looking on ebay for electrolux fridge bits. This looks like the part I need:
(excuse the grainy picture - I zoomed in a lot on an ebay photo)

The colour's right, and it looks like it would pivot around the small threaded hole in my chrome bracket, which makes more sense because I don't think the hole is big enough to take a screwed body with a pin through the middle. In this photo it looks like the part on the door itself might be broken, since it doesn't look like there's anything for the catch to engage with. I believe the idea is for the catch to hold the door closed while traveling, or to hold it ajar when the van's not in use.

So where can I get the two parts of that catch from? I'm trawling ebay for a 'spares or repair' fridge with that part in tact - no luck so far.

pirate-pete
80-90 Mem No: 7945

Post by pirate-pete »

From memory of 1970's caravan those old fridge catches had two positions, one where it held closed when fridge in use and another leaving a slight ventilation gap so the fridge did not go mouldy inside. From looking at that last pic the orange bit on the door should have a tab pointing upwards which will fit in the left slot of the top orange catch for the ventilation and in the right hand gap to seal it closed. I'd guess that the tab on the fridge door is missing/broken off in that picture.

As I say it is a while since I used that type of fridge but I can remember the two position catch and I wish the RM184 in my Westy had similar as I park on a cambered road and need to pull the tray out to stop the door from closing.

Quick E D I T here - found the bit that goes on the door herehttp://caravansplus.com.au/catalog/prod ... ts_id=4467 but down under. Gives you an idea of how it works though.
1983 Westy Joker HighTop, 1Z TDI Conversion

CJH

Post by CJH »

Excellent, thanks Pete.

That's backed up by what I found in the original manual, but more importantly it gives me a part number to go at.

pirate-pete
80-90 Mem No: 7945

Post by pirate-pete »

CJH wrote:Excellent, thanks Pete.

That's backed up by what I found in the original manual, but more importantly it gives me a part number to go at.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is the bit for the door on your RM122 - you still need the top bit too though. Give the seller a shout and ask if he can get the top bit too.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/electrolux-ca ... 460f53225e
1983 Westy Joker HighTop, 1Z TDI Conversion

CJH

Post by CJH »

pirate-pete wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if this is the bit for the door on your RM122 - you still need the top bit too though. Give the seller a shout and ask if he can get the top bit too.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/electrolux-ca ... 460f53225e

Good find, thanks again Pete. I'll definitely get in touch with that seller - they're even based in Nottingham.

This part looks like it uses the same principle - it might even engage with the part you've found.

CJH

Post by CJH »

CJH wrote: Good find, thanks again Pete. I'll definitely get in touch with that seller - they're even based in Nottingham.

Hmm - no longer available apparently. Eyes peeled for a second hand part then.

monster
80-90 Mem No: 13077

Post by monster »

Mine was also missing so i just put a screw in it but have seen people use golf tee's, good enough till you find the right part :lol:
1978 T2 1.6 Petrol Air Cooled Bay Window
1985 T25 1.9 Petrol Water Cooled Panel Van
2009 Golf SE TDI

petethefeet
80-90 Mem No: 12639

Post by petethefeet »

Hi all,
I have looked for this part as well.
CJH, the first link you you posted does not fit, the thread is too big to fit in the chrome bracket, I have one like that some where :oops:

"This looks like it might be the pin, although if that threaded section screws into the hole in the chrome bracket then the pin itself is going to be very thin. I've also seen this, but that doesn't seem to be anything more than the plastic equivalent of the nail I'm using at the moment!"
1982 2 litre CU Auto Devon Moonraker called Brian

CJH

Post by CJH »

petethefeet wrote:Hi all,
I have looked for this part as well.
CJH, the first link you you posted does not fit, the thread is too big to fit in the chrome bracket, I have one like that some where :oops:

OK, thanks Pete - saves me a bit of trial and error. I'm following a couple of leads with people selling fridges that look like they may have the right part on them. It's the top part that's NLA apparently, but the part that fixes to the door itself does look like the part Pirate-Pete linked to above.