Spraying Rustoleum

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

boatbuilder
80-90 Mem No: 8265

Re: Spraying Rustoleum

Post by boatbuilder »

I may shortly be joining the "Rustoleum club" after getting a quote of 5 grand for a two pack paint job.
I have a hvlp gun with a 1.4 tip and compressor - thinking of setting up a simple spray booth in the garage to keep dust out of the paint and set up a fan to help with overspray.
Mixture wise I'd try 70/30 paint/white spirit.
I'm thinking a light mist coat followed by a second heavier coat maybe 20 minutes later. Then wait for a week or two for that to dry, flat the whole lot and then respray another mist coat followed by heavier gloss coat. Then allow to dry for another couple weeks and polish. Would I be on the right track?
1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25 tintop

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

I use 5:1 paint/thinners for Truckcoat a similar enamel paint. Three coast 20 mins apart (adjust for ambient temperature).
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

Forgot to say don't use white spirit it is too slow to flash off use a dedicated synthetic enamel thinner.
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

boatbuilder

Post by boatbuilder »

I'm thinking maybe for an amateur white spirits might be better ... a but more time to get round the van and avoid over spray?

webbaldo

Post by webbaldo »

Sorry for dredging up an old post but I thought id add my experience to the spraying rustoleum thread.

Originally i was gonna use celly but got sick of reactions and the celly high build primer I was using was crap.

Anyway I wanted a useable camper but not immaculate. Its gonna be a family camper and get dinted (ive left alot of dints in for character)

Anyway flatted old paint down, and filler. Primed the whole van using rattle can high build primer called PrimaFilla from wayside adhesives on ebay. Ive used alot of rattle can 1k primers and this stuff is much better and cheap!, sands really well and doesnt chip/crack.

Anyway primered van, then flatted with 400, dolphin glazed the bits I missed, reprimered then 800 gritted the whole van. Didnt bother primering the roof, just flatted it down.

Got Avenue coatings to mix up some rustoleum combi colour in vw neptune blue for me. I thinned the paint 20% with rustoleums own thinner which is xylene based. Used an entry level devilbiss gravity gun (slg610?) £40 jobby and my 50litre 3hp aldi compressor, with small in line water trap.

I was impressed by how little overspray there was, my beetle was under cover only 1.5 metres away and found very few blue specs on it. I used a tarp over the door and window. Good paint for drive spraying!

Did 3 coats, 48hours apart, didnt flat between coats, but obviously rubbed the paint down with pre-paint and tac cloths between coats.

Used 1.5litres on whole van first coat, then 1 litre per coat after

That was a week ago, paint is fingernail proof hard now. Gonna wait a month or so before polishing out the few runs I made.

Very high gloss to start, van will be under cover so not too bothered about dulling. van with be 'used looking' when finished anyway.

link to full thread on earlybay

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php ... 4&start=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

boatbuilder

Post by boatbuilder »

I was too afraid to put on multiple coats so close together. Heard lots of horror stories about the whole thing wrinkling if you recoat too soon. I just put on one fairly heavy coat on my t25, used about 2 litres. Going to let mine harden for a month or two and then wet sand and recoat.

webbaldo

Post by webbaldo »

boatbuilder wrote:I was too afraid to put on multiple coats so close together. Heard lots of horror stories about the whole thing wrinkling if you recoat too soon. I just put on one fairly heavy coat on my t25, used about 2 litres. Going to let mine harden for a month or two and then wet sand and recoat.

I'd heard the same but horror stories were more a case of hours not days between coats when it wrinkles. I did a test area before the second coat and allowed to dry for 24 hours to check. Also baked in the outside weather quite well which I think helped. Rustoleums own data sheet States 24 hour recoat time, so just doubled it to be safe, was about 17degrees when spraying.

In addition a lot of the horror stories on american forums relate to rattle can rustoleum, which has more solvents in to go off quicker.

Very little orange peel between coats. If I wanted it immaculate I'd maybe flatten between coats but doesn't that defeat point of a rust oleum paint job? If your spraying it and wanted it perfect, id be better off with 2pack?

boatbuilder

Post by boatbuilder »

Yeah I agree, with such big panels on these vans, I couldn't be bothered with the glass smooth high end finish. Too many old ladies with shopping trollies around here to warrant an expensive 2k job!

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

I found there was little to no difference between rollering and spraying other than using more paint through the gun. The finish is broadly similar if you're good with the roller. That said, spraying does allow you to get to areas you can't with a roller.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.