Awning

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Woodyyellow
80-90 Mem No: 11769

Re: Awning

Post by Woodyyellow »

We have an 'Outwell Country Road' that came with the van. Used a few times and are very pleased with it.
My two daughters and grandson went to Badminton Horse Trials last year and had no problems putting it up.

Link to their site.
http://www.outwell.com/en/Products/Tent ... yRoad.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1987 1.9 WBX DG Hi-Top. Soon to be Subaru ej20

I'm an old guy but I still learn new stuff!

GMAN140
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by GMAN140 »

Hi
i have the Khyam easy erect which is great but next time i would have a stand alone tent and a canopy for the van ,as i just cant be bothered to keep attaching the tent to the van every time we want to use the van .

nobbyfox
80-90 Mem No: 9991

Post by nobbyfox »

We have a Royal Traveller. Very pleased with it although it has snapped a few of the carbon poles during the strong winds last year.
Westfalia pop-top 1990 1.6JX

Jim San
80-90 Mem No: 13133

Post by Jim San »

GMAN140 wrote:Hi
i have the Khyam easy erect which is great but next time i would have a stand alone tent and a canopy for the van ,as i just cant be bothered to keep attaching the tent to the van every time we want to use the van .

I found it no hassle - I used markers to make sure I got the van close enough, then I just pop the fig 8 strips into the channel - it takes me about 30 seconds - less to de-couple.

We have had the Kyham Classic QE for about 6 years, its been battered by wind and rain and has taken it all. It's faded from sun but we do get about 6 weeks use from it every year - I thought i'd need to replace it after a couple of years because we tour the summer and the awning is up and down every few days - but it just keeps going, I have re-proofed it a couple of times.
Our routine is, we arrive and the mrs VQ takes the sogs for a walk whilst I set camp. It takes me about 3 mins to get the awning up and connected to va, takes about another 10 to peg it out.

Down sides:
Its not the lightest,
Its not the biggest (but depends on how much room you need)
Its not the smallest of things once packed down
There is no porch (I like having the door open when its rainign but no porch means rain comes in

Things i'd like to change about it
Have the double zip door on the same side as the front of the van (so it doesnt end up as a corridor!)
Have the groundsheet zip in/out
Have a porch (even as an add on)
1991 (LHD) Syncro kombi 1.9MTDi 1Z (Landy fuel pump) 215/70/16
Life's to short to drink s@@t beer.
'Roads? We don't need roads where we're going'

manxblade
80-90 Mem No: 12707

Post by manxblade »

Sorry it took so long to post pics of the awning attached to Eva but here they are a better fit than I had hoped for Image[/URLImage

Sleedale
80-90 Mem No: 11478

Post by Sleedale »

We have the vango Sapera, and love it. Stable in wind, easy to put up. Use fig 8 or pole and clamp which comes with it and is stronger in wind. Have tried a Quechua base as well. Works ok but it wasn't big enough for us. Next camping trip going to go all posh and take a fav canvas tent and canopy, although that won't keep the dogs in :shock:
Sue
1985 1.9 DG petrol, 4 speed, wasserboxer, Cavalier Coachman Classic