Headlight upgrade comparative diagram (for peer review)

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Re: Headlight upgrade comparative diagram (for peer review)

Post by California Dreamin »

I can't argue with that but I have to say simple pull relays like this are very reliable, the last time I saw one fail was a split charge relay where the leisure battery had an internal short which melted the relay shut, hardly likely on a lighting circuit with 20amps, and of course if one relay does fail you either loose full or dip...not both.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Post by Titus A Duxass »

jamesc76 wrote:I did my t4 and used a relay for each light, that way if relay fails you dont loose all the lights! ie all main or all dipped!
Same here and I have 2 feeds - no single failure should cause the loss of a system.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

California Dreamin

Again I agree but the reality is most electrical systems don't have any redundancy....fuel pumps, ignition amplifiers, hall senders, wipers...all vital systems and in their own way potentially just as dangerous if they fail but none of them have secondary backup systems/limp mode or part function. They fail and you are stuck.
That is not to say what you are saying isn't sensible far from it.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

Hacksawbob
80-90 Mem No: 1168

Post by Hacksawbob »

2 feeds makes more sense imho high low split with 2 relays. Have you ever tried turning off your lights while driving? (empty straight country road low speed!) its the freekiest thing, if it happened for real it'd not be good. The stock set up does have redundancy of sorts. Headlight switch would be a single point of failure, and flasher switch, less likely with the relay upgrade of course. Any way probably over analysing again. Take a picture when your done Martin! :ok

Does anyone know if these would slot into the additional relay holding slots on the top of the fuse box? I know those slots on the relay holders are to join the holders together but they look very similar, It would save ordering the VW part if they did go on snugly, rlay would have to go sideways of course.
member 1168

Hacksawbob

Post by Hacksawbob »

Also this is in the wiki

'''Ans:''' - ''Pick the relay signal feed up off the left-hand headlamp, not the right''. The latter doesn't trigger the tell-tale!

looking at bentley it looks to me the it is the RHS main beam that activates the main beam warning, is it different for RHD vans?
member 1168

California Dreamin

Hacksawbob wrote:2 feeds makes more sense imho high low split with 2 relays. Have you ever tried turning off your lights while driving? (empty straight country road low speed!) its the freekiest thing, if it happened for real it'd not be good

Hmmmmm yes! at least two seperate feed wires would ensure only dip OR main beam failure....Redundancy! :ok

HERE YOU GO.....Two feeds..... :D

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

Hacksawbob

Post by Hacksawbob »

:ok
member 1168

California Dreamin

Hacksawbob wrote:Also this is in the wiki

'''Ans:''' - ''Pick the relay signal feed up off the left-hand headlamp, not the right''. The latter doesn't trigger the tell-tale!

looking at bentley it looks to me the it is the RHS main beam that activates the main beam warning, is it different for RHD vans?

:roll: So is that left hand looking from the front or left hand (N/S) when you are driving?

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

Hacksawbob

Post by Hacksawbob »

I assume Bentley means off side when they say right.
member 1168

California Dreamin

The 40amp relay arrived Friday, a quick visit to the local army surplus yesterday (never one to spend more than I have to).....3m of twin core 40amp cable (two positive feeds directly from the starter battery) & 2 good quality blade fuse holders....so far £8.75 spent....just need a small component box and some decent weather to get on and do the mod.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV