1.6td JX engine service

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Rubbersoul71
80-90 Mem No: 17606

1.6td JX engine service

Post by Rubbersoul71 »

There now follows a series of questions which I couldn't find the answer to on the Wiki.

My new to me 1989 T25 is getting a full service next week by a reputable mechanic. He's suggested that I source and buy the parts for it.

There's a couple of things on previous service threads on here that I can't source or don't know what to get...

I need to get tappet shims so that the valve clearances can be set and I understand that this is quite important especially on a diesel engine.

How many shims do I need? Considering that JK have them at different heights, do I buy X of each height and then let the mechanic sort it from there?

Cam cover gasket kit.
Is this the same as the rocker cover gaskets or is this something else? Do i need to worry about this myself or will they know if they need one and get one themselves?

I'm second guessing myself a lot here but I want the engine to get a proper service so I've got confidence in it.

I've sourced the majority of parts from GSF which were Mann or equivalent so not buying any cheaper parts.

Cam belt and pulley coming from JK unless anyone suggests any alternative supplier?

Thanks for any advice!

JimImage
Rust Never Sleeps...1989 VW Autohomes 1.6td

ZsZ
80-90 Mem No: 14899

Re: 1.6td JX engine service

Post by ZsZ »

You can source the shims (and all other quality parts) from BW
https://brickwerks.co.uk/?s=Shim&post_t ... gwt_wcas=1

To find out which one you need, you want to know what you have and what is the lash measurement. Then you can calculate the thickness of the new shims.
Otherwise there were shim kits available before, but they were quite expensive so only some of the specialized workshops could afford them.

Cam cover and rocker cover is the same thing on these engines. Different times had different names.

Your GSF stuff is fine, but worth check BW for prices to compare.
You can find the timing belt kit there too.
Look for quality manufacturers like Contitech, Gates, INA, Dayco if you choose from GSF.
You probably will be fine with the Febi from JK, but there are better brands who are actually manufacturing stuff.
Zoltan
1986 Multivan ex-Caravelle. Van since 2006, running mTDi 1Z since 2008 with Fiat Croma 1.9 TDid pump 2008-2019, custom pump since 2019
5spd custom box 4.57 diff + 0.74 5th