No reverse gear - missing something obvious I’m sure

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Gunter98
80-90 Mem No: 17494

No reverse gear - missing something obvious I’m sure

Post by Gunter98 »

Hi,

Just to check I am not missing something obvious to brighter minds…

I’ve just rebuilt the rear gear selector with new cup etc, and the gears were ok, although second / third seemed a little off. So I adjusted the splines so that the forks sit tidy as per the wiki. All the gears seem to slide into the slots fine, so was feeling good about myself. Foolish.

Now when I pull reverse, I am just getting a forward gear (presumably first?). The van moves forwards. All gears seem to engage when I work the box (although Sat on the driveway so can’t be sure they’re right), and reverse seems to be in the correct slot.

Any likely places to look, or do I just run through the process again? One thing I did notice was the splines seemed to have about 12mm showing, not the 8-10 recommended, but as they had been like that before I didn’t think to change them.

Any thoughts? 86 1.6D, 5 speed.

Many thanks in advance.

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Re: No reverse gear - missing something obvious I’m sure

Post by multisi »

Did you move the rods where they clamp together, if they were disturbed the rear rod may need rotating .
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

Gunter98
80-90 Mem No: 17494

Re: No reverse gear - missing something obvious I’m sure

Post by Gunter98 »

Thanks, moved it back one spline and that seems to have sorted it. Surprising how sensitive the big ugly lump is. Cheers.