Only getting 12 volts at the split charge relay.

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

AlBundy
80-90 Mem No: 17633

Only getting 12 volts at the split charge relay.

Post by AlBundy »

Have tried the wiki and search, but not found (or not understood) if my issue is dealt with.

I have tested the output cable at the split charge relay, and am only getting 11.98 volts. Not enough to charge the leisure battery. I want to test the output of the alternator to see if its the wire, but the current connections to the wire can't be accessed easily without damaging the connection.

From my research I need to check the cable, the regulator, and the alternator, in that order, but not sure exactly how I can do this. Any guidance would be helpful!

The van is a 1986 1.6 diesel, LHD. Pictures attached of the relevant parts. ImageImageImage
1986 1.6 Diesel Bilbo Arragon conversion.

Forden341
80-90 Mem No: 15589

Re: Only getting 12 volts at the split charge relay.

Post by Forden341 »

You should be able to get a voltage reading at the alternator on the stud that the big red wire is attached to.
You are testing the split charge relay with the vehicle running? Just to clarify.

AlBundy
80-90 Mem No: 17633

Post by AlBundy »

Yes, vehicle running. Got an additional body to rev the engine and managed 13.6 volts at the cable under the driver seat. I couldn't get a reading at the alternator, but suspect I was doing it wrong.

Next step is to connect the new Sargent EC155 system, I think I can do that directly to the car battery, but do I need to remove the old cable that went to the split charge relay, or can I just leave it in place and just terminate it so it doesn't go anywhere?
1986 1.6 Diesel Bilbo Arragon conversion.

ZsZ
80-90 Mem No: 14899

Post by ZsZ »

What is your reading on the starter battery?
You can carefully open the plug on the alternator to access the spade connectors if you have an original diesel alternator.
Original connectors have just two tabs on the sides and you can flip the top IIRC, new aftermarket ones are a bit more involved:
https://brickwerks.co.uk/product/altern ... rly-3-pin/

Factory split charge system is a bit undersized in wiring, so you cannot have full charge on a leisure battery.
With a charge booster or DC-DC charger youbcan use the original wiring.
Zoltan
1986 Multivan ex-Caravelle. Van since 2006, running mTDi 1Z since 2008 with Fiat Croma 1.9 TDid pump 2008-2019, custom pump since 2019
5spd custom box 4.57 diff + 0.74 5th