Inner sill rust - bad?

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

bposocco
80-90 Mem No: 0

Inner sill rust - bad?

Post by bposocco »

Hi, I’m on the hunt for my first van and I have been looking at a t3 recently that seems to work for what I am after. I don’t need a perfect van, happy to do a bit of work myself but I would like it to be structurally sound.
Unfortunately on the passenger side, under the sliding door the situation is like pictured. Salvageable ? I’m a rookie so any advice welcome Image

SyncroMatt
80-90 Mem No: 17284

Re: Inner sill rust - bad?

Post by SyncroMatt »

Significant rust in a significantly structural position. Certainly an MOT failure as it's right by the trailing arm mount point.

I'd suggest you could put your thumb through there.

Press with the handle end of a screwdriver and listen for the crunch.
1987 2.1DJ Caravelle GL Syncro.

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

Walk away, the area above and under the door has been bodged already, if the paint and filler were removed it would reveal a big problem.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

tandemsandy
80-90 Mem No: 9604

Post by tandemsandy »

Having done that job myself, I agree - walk away, that's not structurally sound and not a simple job.

Rob
Sandy & Rob live with Vinnie, an '84 1.9 DG Leisuredrive

Stesaw
80-90 Mem No: 17004

Post by Stesaw »

Id imagine that's hiding a nest of horrors with the condition of under the door. That rust might also lead to the trailing arm bracket there inside and either way you'd be looking at a fairly costy fix.

Unless of course you can do the welding and fabrication yourself  :wink:
1985 LeisureDrive 2.1DJ 5 Speed syncro conversion project.
1979 LT 2.0CH Westy project

cobblers
80-90 Mem No: 17450

Post by cobblers »

My doka had a similar small few bubbles and a tiny hole there, and it turned into 6 days work for a professional fabricator.

ImageImage

Both sides were just as bad, £1200 for the labour and £450 in panels, plus paint.

Smiffo
80-90 Mem No: 15151

Post by Smiffo »

multisi wrote: 22 Aug 2022, 15:12 Walk away, the area above and under the door has been bodged already, if the paint and filler were removed it would reveal a big problem.

Yep. Mine didn't look that bad, but on restoration needed extensive cutting and welding to straighten out.
That's not to say it's not fixable, but deffo walk into it eyes open knowing it needs sorting.

I found any price given for the work was also unrealistic. By the time you start cutting, the work required just grows arms and legs. Anyone ever asks me now, I'd suggest double the initial quote, and triple the time it will take to get it back  :lol:
'89 1.9 DG

“It's Easier to Fool People Than It Is to Convince Them That They Have Been Fooled.” ~ Mark Twain.

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Post by maxstu »

Smiffo wrote: 23 Aug 2022, 09:36
multisi wrote: 22 Aug 2022, 15:12 Walk away, the area above and under the door has been bodged already, if the paint and filler were removed it would reveal a big problem.

I found any price given for the work was also unrealistic. By the time you start cutting, the work required just grows arms and legs. Anyone ever asks me now, I'd suggest double the initial quote, and triple the time it will take to get it back  :lol:

Oh yes! ^^^

My last bodywork estimate for near side quarter including jacking point was 1100 quid and eight days. Then many calls, visits and photos over 32 days, and later £2700 lighter, l collected my camper.

Four years later it's still rust free though...well that bit is!
MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
1987 DG1.9 LPG Auto Autosleeper
"Blissfully happy in your presence".