Help: engine swap, but no cooling !

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Longchap
80-90 Mem No: 9445

Help: engine swap, but no cooling !

Post by Longchap »

Hello everyone,

I really need some helpful advice to enable me to get my wagon out of my local French garage and back on the road!

My '89 single cab pick up has had a replacement 1.9DG engine from an 84 camper fitted, which works, but we have no water circulation. The coolant pump on the original pick engine up was on the front of the van end of the engine and the replacement engine has its pump at the back. The garage has modified the plumbing from the new pump location to the original pipe ends at inboard end of the engine, but there is no water circulation, so no enginecooling!

Any ideas of how we should proceed? I can take some photos and post if it will help.

Cheers,

Bill
aka, Sad and Lonely in France (Saumur)

croc
80-90 Mem No: 9222

Re: Help: engine swap, but no cooling !

Post by croc »

Hi

Have a look on Wiki and some other fairly recent posts about cooling systems.

You might find that your replacement engine has quite different plumbing setup around the engine from the original.
They did change between the engine age dates you've given.

some others here well experienced will comment no doubt and help out, your offer of a couple of photos would help too.

jon
1.9 DG WBX, 5 speed gearbox, standard steel wheels

billy739
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1541

Post by billy739 »

ALL water pumps are in the same place on the engines weather early or late cooing systems

what your getting confused with is the thermostat housing , towards the front of the van on later system , but on the rear ( attached to waterpump) on early ones

its fairly straight forward fitting an early engine to a later van ,( harder the other way round) but you have to remove the manifold block behind the firewall on the left as you look from the rear of the vehicle!

have a look to see if this black plastic item is still fitted?

if yes then the job isant done well enough!

let us know if this has been done

Longchap

Post by Longchap »

Thanks guys and I'll pop rounf to my garage tomorrow and take a peep and some photos.

Fingers crossed

LC

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

billy739 wrote: you have to remove the manifold block behind the firewall on the left as you look from the rear of the vehicle!

I think Mr Numbers means on the right behind the firewall, this bit ...
http://www.brickwerks.co.uk/shop?page=s ... ory_id=118

Ian
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

Longchap

Post by Longchap »

Thanks again Ian,

I've left the truck in France while returning to the UK for appointments and building supplies, but I've now got the vehicle back at my place and will be setting to work on it when I get back next week.

I've identified some foreign plumbing in the system (fitted to try and make the plumbing connect up no doubt) and will check that it isn't restricting water flow and I'll also jack the front end up and prime it until the radiator bleed valve lets rip. I've a feeling the French mechanics may have known even less than I do about T25s!

I'll see if that coolant distrubution junction is in place and thanks for identifying this so well, which makes it easy to order if I need it.

I'm so glad I joined Club 80-90 and am grateful for all the help and wisdom available to help keep our T25s on the road.

Cheers,

LC

billy739
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1541

Post by billy739 »

if the dodgy plumbing looks like gas pipe , blue? then this is designed to close up with heat , ie in a fire but hot water is enough to close it - from non t25 experience!

gordy

Post by gordy »

hi obviuosly i stripping a camper 1.9dg all plumbing wasn't gonna be done owt with so if you need anything just shout ya can have bits if it helps it got a new water pump, thermostat, metal water pipe good rad too but want few pennies for those bits its not an add just trying to help

Longchap

Post by Longchap »

Hi and thanks Gordy. I'm returning toFrance this Saturday and will get to grips with the engine next week and will see if I need any of those bits. If so, I hope you can post them to France!

Cheers,

LC

sarran1955
80-90 Mem No: 6754
Location: 6, les Hauts de Sarran 19800, Sarran ,Limousin ,FRANCE

Post by sarran1955 »

Hello,

Where in France??

Cordialement,

:ok

Longchap

Post by Longchap »

sarran1955 wrote:Hello,

Where in France??

Cordialement,

:ok

Salut Sarran,

We're in a small wine producing village just a little south of Saumur in the Loire valley, where we're restoring an old wine production premises into a home for us, our cats, some old cars and our gite guests.

Amities,

LC

follow our blog on http://www.longchap.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;