AAZ Throttle linkage

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Magnum
80-90 Mem No: 413

AAZ Throttle linkage

Post by Magnum »

Anyone got any pics of AAZ throttle arm/linkage?
I used the JX arm with a tempory bracket for the cable to get mine running but would now like to do a proper job. At the moment it either ticks over too fast or don't get full throttle and I can't seem to get it right. Seems to be make a huge difference moving the arm 1 spline on the pump spindle.

Paul
member four one three

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

This might becoming a common problem, as I've experinced this to some extent.

Think mine's a hodgepodge! But have a manky spring assister hooked over a cam-cover bracket (see black arrow on photo.. spring band hanging down unhooked)

Simon Baxter says there are quitre a few different pumps for this engine...

I'll put some pictures up of mine, though its always difficult to see things clearly they are some jampacked with flange widgets!

The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

Magnum

Post by Magnum »

I don't think its possible for mine to work properly with the JX arm, looking at it again its about twice as long as the original AAZ arm and the arc required is just too much. Yours looks like the AAZ arm thats been bent downwards, so might try that later.

Paul
member four one three

vantheman
80-90 Mem No: 2147

Post by vantheman »

I'm a little late picking up on this problem , however for what its worth,
I have experienced the same problem with lack of throttle travel with my
ex Ebiza AAZ conversion.

This had a two stage throttle opening lever which I totally discarded including the strong return spring.
I then used the JX lever and drilled a small hole half way along. I used a bicycle wheel spoke to then link the lever to the original cable. Using a much lighter return spring reduces the potential extra load on the cable and the set up gives just about enough throttle movement between the stops.

The result is heath robinson but it works. The real answer is to lengthen the actuating arm under the throttle pedal to give additional cable travel, however getting at this is a sod without a lift.

Incidently I am getting 33MPG out of my tin top on local runs

Vantheman
Member no 2147

Magnum

Post by Magnum »

Thanks, have been trying to sort this one out for a while now. At the moment I have max throttle and it goes really, well smooth acceleration and drives like a normal car. However tick over is too fast at just under 1000rpm (should be around 800). Didn't realise it was a 2 stage throttle..explains a lot. I really wish I hadn't removed the original arm before looking at it properly for future reference.
Any chance of sending a pic of your linkage?
member four one three

HarryMann
Admin/Mod

Post by HarryMann »

I wouldn't worry overly about a 1000 rpm tickover, mine idles at 1200 since upping the fuelling (and not finding the low speed fuelling screw - yet!)

At least your spigot shaft bearing won't rattle and wear out...

Syncronaut No. 1

vantheman
80-90 Mem No: 2147

Post by vantheman »

Magnum, the two stage throttle consisted of two interconnected coil springs
one on top of the other on the throttle spindle. The only purpose I could
determine was to give the impression of much more throttle travel than was actually available. ie to give a better throttle feel.

Will try and get my daughter to download pics for you I'm from the
8 bit era.

My tickover is too high, I would estimate in the 1000-1200 bracket.
How do I adjust this ? I assumed that this would just involve moving the
throttle stop.

Incidently whats this got to do with the spigot bearing Harry ? Are you
saying a high tickover will prematurely wear the bearing?

Vantheman
Member no 2147

HarryMann
Admin/Mod

Post by HarryMann »

Nooo, nooo

A too low tickover will create irregular idling and down around 5-600 rpm, unless everything is in perfect shape you could get 'the rattle' - spigot shaft jumping around within the needle bearing (if it has one, which it should)...

Still trying to find the correct idle fuelling adjustment... the throttle linkage itself/arm position doesn't control the idle(it seems), dependent upon the low speed fuel-adjustment, as its so small an amount of fuel.

When diesels, injectors and pumps get aged and worn, they tend to have irregular idling, sometimes when hot they speed up a lot, despite throttle linkage poasition - or so I've been told - and mine would sometimes go into a low and slow idle rattling itself badly - excessively low idle is not a good thing on any engine really e.g. original minis would rattle their idler gears badly, OHC engines would have poor oil supply to camshaft etc.

Syncronaut No. 1

Magnum

Post by Magnum »

Correct idle speed for AAZ & JX is around 800rpm. My JX did that at at 360,000kms no problem. I only changed to AAZ because it was cheaper than a new turbo. The AAZ will idle at 800, but with the present linkage will not achieve full throttle unless I move the arm one notch on the spindle and then it won't idle as it should. Don't need to adjust anything, just make a linkage that works correctly!
member four one three

HarryMann
Admin/Mod

Post by HarryMann »

The adjustment I was talking about was re-setting the idle fuelling after increasing the main fuelling on mine. If that's left alone it should idle OK I agree, if the throttle is shutting fully. Mine would idle unreliably when hot, sometimes fast, sometimes slow, and was told this could be wear in the injection pump... though now I've given it a good dose of TEC 2000 diesel cleaner in the tank, its a bit more consistent > injectors!

Syncronaut No. 1