Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

roj62
80-90 Mem No: 8026

possible kickdown problems

Post by roj62 »

Hi

(2.1 Auto problem)

Just came home to find a very traumatised wife and child. she had gone to use the van and just as she was in the middle of three point turn the accelerator stuck to the floor and the van went into max revs. she was stuck in the middle of the street and had to try to re-park the van with screaming terrified child and van revving its head off and her trying to hold it on the brake (and of course no one bothers to help cos they just think she's a bad female driver)

anyway i've had a look around in the dark, cable was loose and had a look in the engine bay and gave the cable a tug and it all snapped back into position and now its idling and revving properly. Im not much of a mechanic at all but it looked to me like maybe the cable had jammed in the kick down position. I only had a head torch so cant see that much.

Does this sound about right and if so is there some way of preventing that from happening again? its a brand new cable fitted last summer so it should be fine. He's heading for his service and MOT on Wednesday so i'm hoping it's not going to happen again in traffic or on the motorway

Cheers