Spare wheel carrier - Front and Rear

Syncro 4&4 Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics (browse for Syncro links)

You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.

Moderators: Moderators, User administrators

zak
Posts: 120
Joined: 18 Jan 2009, 00:38
80-90 Mem No: 11553
Location: Deepest Essex

Spare wheel carrier - Front and Rear

Post by zak »

Hi,

Can I pick your brains please about spare wheel carriers. I'm interested in both rear swing out and front underslung.

For the rear ones, from your experience who makes the best of whats available new or (wishful thinking) secondhand? I'm in the market for one if anyone has one spare. My van is rhd, my thinking is I need a right side carrier for ease of access between sliding door and rear door.

For the front underslung one, I'd like this as an occasional option as now and then I'd like to carry a small motorbike on the rear on a cooper rack. Hopefully it would clear the empty spare rack. I have 215/70 x 15 AT's. Is this a possible fit under the front and between the chassis. I have a bolted up sheet metal bash plate at the moment. Has anyone successfully modified one of these as a spare carrier or would I need to try and source an original or aftermarket spare carrier?

rgds

Les
RHD Holdsworth Syncro

User avatar
syncropaddy
Posts: 887
Joined: 17 Oct 2005, 22:46
80-90 Mem No: 1019
Location: Gorey, Co. Wexford, Ireland

Re: Spare wheel carrier - Front and Rear

Post by syncropaddy »

215/75/15 wont fit under the front as its too big.
syncropaddy


One Syncro, five Mercedes Benzs and a rocket ship

zak
Posts: 120
Joined: 18 Jan 2009, 00:38
80-90 Mem No: 11553
Location: Deepest Essex

Re: Spare wheel carrier - Front and Rear

Post by zak »

syncropaddy wrote:215/75/15 wont fit under the front as its too big.

OK thanks, Is it the diameter or the width or both? Just a thought, would it possibly fit partially deflated?
RHD Holdsworth Syncro

User avatar
syncropaddy
Posts: 887
Joined: 17 Oct 2005, 22:46
80-90 Mem No: 1019
Location: Gorey, Co. Wexford, Ireland

Re: Spare wheel carrier - Front and Rear

Post by syncropaddy »

Diameter. It would fit if you partially deflate it but thats defeating the object of a spare I would have thought!
syncropaddy


One Syncro, five Mercedes Benzs and a rocket ship

Tinium
Posts: 201
Joined: 31 Oct 2012, 14:52
80-90 Mem No: 12269
Location: Exeter, Devon

Re: Spare wheel carrier - Front and Rear

Post by Tinium »

I've got 215/75/15 + mefro in my front underslung wheel carrier with some "adjustment" - ie, inch or so of plate welded vertically around a VW original to make it large enough and keep it strong incase of it getting a bash, then all powdercoated to make it look a bit more OEM. It does impact the approach a bit, but only by an inch or so, which I'm willing to forgive as like you I need to get the families bikes on the back.

Don't have a detailed picture to hand, but shout if you're interested and I'll go out and take one - CoastVW/Syncrospares made it up for me - I'm not that handy with the welder! :oops:

E D I T: I'm pretty sure the tyre's fully inflated too (well, it's not flat when I check it with a highly technical press-of-the-finger when I'm feeling too lazy to drop it out of the carrier!), but not overly concerned if it's a few PSI down, carry a cheapo 12v compressor in the van all the time anyway just in case.
1987 Syncro EJ25 Leisuredrive Tin-Top Campervan

zak
Posts: 120
Joined: 18 Jan 2009, 00:38
80-90 Mem No: 11553
Location: Deepest Essex

Re: Spare wheel carrier - Front and Rear

Post by zak »

Tinium wrote:I've got 215/75/15 + mefro in my front underslung wheel carrier with some "adjustment" - ie, inch or so of plate welded vertically around a VW original to make it large enough and keep it strong incase of it getting a bash, then all powdercoated to make it look a bit more OEM. It does impact the approach a bit, but only by an inch or so, which I'm willing to forgive as like you I need to get the families bikes on the back.

Don't have a detailed picture to hand, but shout if you're interested and I'll go out and take one - CoastVW/Syncrospares made it up for me - I'm not that handy with the welder! :oops:

E D I T: I'm pretty sure the tyre's fully inflated too (well, it's not flat when I check it with a highly technical press-of-the-finger when I'm feeling too lazy to drop it out of the carrier!), but not overly concerned if it's a few PSI down, carry a cheapo 12v compressor in the van all the time anyway just in case.

Thanks Tinium, thats encouraging.

Anyone got a front or rear wheel carrier to spare (pun unintended)

rgds

Les
RHD Holdsworth Syncro

User avatar
garyd
Posts: 462
Joined: 20 Sep 2006, 18:36
80-90 Mem No: 2934
Location: Wells, Somerset

Re: Spare wheel carrier - Front and Rear

Post by garyd »

I also carry a 215-75x15 AT spare under the front.

I have trimmed back & rewelded the inner flanges of the chassis rails on each side to provide the necessary clearance for the tyre diameter. Mine also had the fixed bash plate but I have replaced this with a home-engineered drop-down carrier.
Garyd

1990 Transporter syncro camper
2 litre AGG 'GTi' engine

zak
Posts: 120
Joined: 18 Jan 2009, 00:38
80-90 Mem No: 11553
Location: Deepest Essex

Re: Spare wheel carrier - Front and Rear

Post by zak »

garyd wrote:I also carry a 215-75x15 AT spare under the front.

I have trimmed back & rewelded the inner flanges of the chassis rails on each side to provide the necessary clearance for the tyre diameter. Mine also had the fixed bash plate but I have replaced this with a home-engineered drop-down carrier.

Thanks gary, could I trouble you for a coupla pics when you get time.

Anyone out there any recommendation of available rear spare carriers please?
RHD Holdsworth Syncro

User avatar
garyd
Posts: 462
Joined: 20 Sep 2006, 18:36
80-90 Mem No: 2934
Location: Wells, Somerset

Re: Spare wheel carrier - Front and Rear

Post by garyd »

I thought I had some pictures, Zak, but can't locate them. It will have to wait for a dry time when I can get underneath and take some. I think tomorrow's forecast is not too bad.
Garyd

1990 Transporter syncro camper
2 litre AGG 'GTi' engine

User avatar
syncropaddy
Posts: 887
Joined: 17 Oct 2005, 22:46
80-90 Mem No: 1019
Location: Gorey, Co. Wexford, Ireland

Re: Spare wheel carrier - Front and Rear

Post by syncropaddy »

Of course modifying the 'chassis legs' wouldn't alter the basic vehicle integrity and crash worthiness or invalidate the insurance ....... :roll:
syncropaddy


One Syncro, five Mercedes Benzs and a rocket ship

User avatar
HarryMann
Admin/Mod
Posts: 9404
Joined: 30 Sep 2005, 11:40
80-90 Mem No: 379
Location: Herts, UK

Re: Spare wheel carrier - Front and Rear

Post by HarryMann »

Those members are not really chassis rails but energy absorbing deformation beams...
ah well... a pragmatic mod. Storing spare wheels is a perennial Syncro conundrum.
And that doez bring cg'eth fwd & down rather than back & up... call it a compromise Andrew?

zak
Posts: 120
Joined: 18 Jan 2009, 00:38
80-90 Mem No: 11553
Location: Deepest Essex

Re: Spare wheel carrier - Front and Rear

Post by zak »

HarryMann wrote: cg'eth
:?: :?:

HarryMann wrote: Storing spare wheels is a perennial Syncro conundrum
So I am learning !! :?
RHD Holdsworth Syncro

User avatar
HarryMann
Admin/Mod
Posts: 9404
Joined: 30 Sep 2005, 11:40
80-90 Mem No: 379
Location: Herts, UK

Re: Spare wheel carrier - Front and Rear

Post by HarryMann »

C. of G.
Centre of Gravity

User avatar
syncropaddy
Posts: 887
Joined: 17 Oct 2005, 22:46
80-90 Mem No: 1019
Location: Gorey, Co. Wexford, Ireland

Re: Spare wheel carrier - Front and Rear

Post by syncropaddy »

HarryMann wrote:Those members are not really chassis rails but energy absorbing deformation beams...
ah well... a pragmatic mod. Storing spare wheels is a perennial Syncro conundrum.
And that doez bring cg'eth fwd & down rather than back & up... call it a compromise Andrew?

Yes not chassis rails in the true sense of the word I know, but those 'energy absorbing deformation beams' are designed to do a few jobs other than 'energy absorbing' and we all should know by now what happens when you modify something on a Syncro ..... or have we forgotten?

As for the C of G, I dont think the position of a spare wheel makes the slightest bit of difference on a Syncro with the amount of junk carried around in them!
syncropaddy


One Syncro, five Mercedes Benzs and a rocket ship

User avatar
HarryMann
Admin/Mod
Posts: 9404
Joined: 30 Sep 2005, 11:40
80-90 Mem No: 379
Location: Herts, UK

Re: Spare wheel carrier - Front and Rear

Post by HarryMann »

Mmm
but think a big wheel & tyre removed from overhanging rear and added to fronr.
Doubles the effect and. ..
every little counts.
a lot of the junk is often carried midships

Locked