Zig cf8 not charging from 240v

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

InventEd
80-90 Mem No: 14696

Zig cf8 not charging from 240v

Post by InventEd »

Hi

2 months into my new T25, after replacing the engine I am now onto sorting the camping electrics. I have been through the system and removed various random switches, wires and fuses connected to the Zig cf8 to bring it back to wiring as per the instruction book. It now charges the leisure battery while driving but shows no sign of charging when connected to the 240v. Last step in the zig manual says disconnect batteries, plug into 240v and check 12v circuits. Well I get zero volts on my meter, but the main switch does light up in this situation. So something seams to be up. I have tried all combinations of switch positions checked all fuses. Next step is to take the front panel off and start looking at internal electronics unless anyone can recommend another course of action?

I have heard welding can damage the diodes and I know the previous owner had some welding done.

Any thoughts appreciated!!

InventEd

Re: Zig cf8 not charging from 240v

Post by InventEd »

Just as an update, I have taken the front off the Zig and found this orange wire and component hanging off.

https://goo.gl/photos/NNWKyMNYcYUU2ukL9

Anyone got a picture of the inside of their Zig so I can confirm where it should go? I am assuming I should solder it back on the solder blob at the bottom of the transformer, but it would be good to check!

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Thermal fuse - check it for continuity before re-affixing. May need replacement. Search the forum, there is a post in the last couple of months about one of these little bu**ers.

Here - http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... ermal+fuse
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

InventEd

Post by InventEd »

OK, soldered it onto the transformer and bingo its charging! Luckily it seams the thermal fuse is still working. Great. I will leave it overnight on the 240v and hopefully have a fully charged battery in the morning.

Right - Now onto the weird throttle linkage on a an Automatic. I think that may end up in another head scratching query here tomorrow!

robertneill602
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by robertneill602 »

Your picture shows a defective joint between the transformer and what is the thermal cutout to the rectifier and zener stabilizing circuit. Look- up internal wiring zig Cf8 control unit. Remake joint with soldering equipment. When cleaning up old solder a sucker device is extremely useful. There are actual holes in the tabs of the transformer and cutout, but I would say there's a difference of opinion whether to actually tie the joint together with wire before soldering ie whether you want the joint to fail completely and ease of servicing verses a joint that could arc if overheating is involved.

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

The art of necromancy is not dead!
You have replied to a 5 year old post to a poster who hasn't logged into the site since 2017. :rofl
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

Smiles
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Smiles »

Hello all

I’m glad this thread has got a new life because I just bought a 1969 caravan with a Zig CF8 & I need help to see if I can get it going.
I’ve hooked the Zig to a 70amp/h glass mat battery & the 12v side works well & runs lighting. However the Zig will not charge the battery when switched to 240v.
So far I have checked the 1x 240v & 3x 12v fuses & they are ok. The transformer is humming. The thermal cut out switch seems to be working as I put jumper leads across the switch terminals & there was no change.
I can’t find the capacitor. Is the 2” square black unit with 2 leads from the transformer, 1 to the diode & 1 to the 12v side, the rectifier? The small red component with breaker points & copper disc seems to be working, is it another thermal switch?
Hoping you can help!
Thanks

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Post by AngeloEvs »

Here is the circuit diagram.  There is no capacitor, the Zig CF8 js quite a simple unit that incorporates a Bridge Rectifier, a thermal trip switch, ovrcurrent trip and a thyristor that pulses the output.   It is best to test and measure the ZIG output with no battery connected initialy to confirm voltage output at the bridge and after the current overload trip switch, then at the fuses.

1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior