Split charge upgrade to CF8 zig

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Split charge upgrade to CF8 zig

Post by CovKid »

I've always charged my leisure via a split charge relay (no probs) but now have a zig CF8 I can use. Is there much advantage over and above the addition of the 240v power source I'll get. What does the CF8 offer if anything, that supercedes the simple relay or is it a case of using both for best results?
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

BOXY
80-90 Mem No: 8826

Re: Split charge upgrade to CF8 zig

Post by BOXY »

The Zig doesn't give you a 240v supply, it needs one to power the charger that charges the leisure battery. The 240v supply Autohomes fitted originally just spurred off to a 3 pin socket. Since getting my van I've changed the spur so it feeds a 3 way consumer unit. From that I feed the original Zig charger, a Ctek smart charger for the starter battery, and a 3 pin socket. The zig just provides a convenient box for switching to 12v and turning the charger on and off.

2ltr Aircooled CU with twin Solex's & originally a 009 dizzie, but now back to standard.

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

CovKid wrote:What does the CF8 offer
Oooo, it offers that lovely big brown panel, with all those lovely switches and those lovely old style fuse holders on the front. I'm so jealous ;)
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Well I suppose the question I'm asking is, is it worth chucking out the split charge relay (simple one) and wiring up to the CF8 instead. If it'll do the same or even a better job (won't be fitting a CTEK though), I'll make a start on it.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

CJH
80-90 Mem No: 12576

Post by CJH »

Ralph

Assuming you leave your split charge relay in place, then just about the only thing you'll get by adding a CF8 to your current setup is another run of wiring between your starter battery and your leisure battery, which might reduce the resistance in the split charging circuit. But you'll have to remember to put the switch in the 'Touring' position. If your split charge relay wiring is already up to the job, then forget it. I posted some thoughts on the CF8 in another thread yesterday here.

I take it you've seen the internal circuit schematic of the CF8?

And to add to Boxy's Autohomes schematic, here's one from the CF8 manual.
"I'm a man of means, by no means....King of the Road!"

1983 Viking Xplorer, 2.1DJ

CJH
80-90 Mem No: 12576

Post by CJH »

I've just seen your question about replacing the relay. In the CF8 it's just a simple switch. I don't see that it's any better than a properly wired relay. In fact, the cable routing will probably end up being longer, since the panel location may not be as close to your batteries as the relay could be, and (the biggest issue IMO) you'll have to remember to put the switch in the 'Touring' position.
"I'm a man of means, by no means....King of the Road!"

1983 Viking Xplorer, 2.1DJ

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

OK, might make more sense to shove another battery in the wardrobe then and use that. I have a spare one (other than the leisure) that stays in the van all the time as an emergency supply. That said, the addition of 240v is probably worthwhile.

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

Hi Ralph why do you need 240V?

I have to agree with Chris, I just can't see any advantages, but can see a few disadvantages (as he points out ^^^)
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

I don't as I never see myself as the Terry and June type :D I use 12v for everything but there has been the odd occasion when camped in Suffolk where my host was happy to run an extension lead to me. It just came with the wardobe I bought, plus mains fusebox etc. Could fill it all in I suppose. :wink:

robertneill602
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by robertneill602 »

The only advantage is that fitting a Cf8 unit will offer onsite 240V mains charging facility for the leisure/camping battery. There is the remembering to switch between the 2 charging modes if the existing split charging relay be removed. With the Cf8 there's additional thermal protection though the main battery connection cables are likely to have longer cable runs.Uk company's Vehicle Wiring Products and Automotive Electrical Supplies have heavy duty cable over 6mm. The second company offers a replacement 12V generator/alternator for Split-Screens and 1600 engined Bays.

robertneill602
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by robertneill602 »

Furthermore all mains installations in caravans Must now be RCCB/RCD protected and now wired in artic grade flexible cable given to the Ammendments updates to 2007 IEE Wiring Regulations. Usually flexible conduit and mini-trunking for extra cable protection can be used , but a snag here could be the the accessories entry points including the breaker box.