Rebuilding B post

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: Moderators, User administrators

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Rebuilding B post

Post by 937carrera »

I think I am about ready to start putting some new metal on my van http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=141327 and thought I would put up a post to see if my proposed repair method makes sense.

Plesae feel free to comment - I'm working all this stuff out for the first time with some help from threads & people on the forum, thanks. :)

This is what it looks like now. I have not cut away the section which contains an extra bracing piece in place. I also need to cut away the rusty piece above the Schofields repair piece that forms part of the outer skin but don't want to cut any more metal away until I know where I am going.

I already have a Schofield B post repair panel and have realised that the front flange should simply butt weld onto the forward part of the B post, I think. What;'s the best way to join it to the rest of the panel and is it simply butt welded or is one of the panels joggled to make a flange to puddle weld ?

That's the easy bit, on the inside of the van I have had to cut away part of the B post, so that needs replacing and the rear of the battery box / wheelarch also needs to fit into place.

I think I need to make a plate for the inside face of the B post, which extends forward and can then be puddle welded onto the replacement lower B post from Schofields and the outside of the B post above that which I am going to fabricate myself. Here's a sketch of what I am thinking. Essentially a flat plate of 1.5mm steel for the inside of the van, and then a half swastika piece (sorry best description I could think of) for the outer edge and front of the B post, with a flange for joining to the piece fabricated for the inside.

The battery box rear should then simply slot into place for some puddle welding, I hope.

1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

RogerT
80-90 Mem No: 13706

Re: Rebuilding B post

Post by RogerT »

My visualisation skills have deserted me, can’t make head or tail of that drawing! Maybe when I’ve dismantled mine...
'88 Transporter with hitop camper conversion, 1.6td.

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

It's late, and there's no music playing :)

For next time you look, the drawing is a representation of what can be seen in the photo, while the B post repair panel is shown by the dotted line on the left and hard line on the right at the bottom of the picture. That's what i was trying to do anyway.

adie89
80-90 Mem No: 11532

Post by adie89 »

Butt weld the outer skin or it'll warp. And don't try to do it on the swage line it'll be a bugger to weld grind and fill.
The inside of the arch should sit like a biscuit tin lid, you can plug weld that, it's narrow, on a bend and out of sight. That's your last diagram with the line that say butt weld or juggler, it should sit over top like a biscuit tin lid viewed from the side
https://www.flickr.com/gp/22734691@N03/3R0d50
Sorry I didn't take a pic of inside the arch but after this i slipped in an L shaped plate in the hole the plug welded the inner and outer B pillar together then the outer skin to the L piece
Hopefully you can at least use the link, having a bother putting in pictures
Greta: 85’ LHD 2.5L Subaru 14in Syncro
http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=165773

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

Thanks for that advice, really helpful. :ok

I managed to get a link to display the picture too which is also very clear how I need to fit the fridge panel.

I've cut a bit close to the swage line on mine, but I think I can get away with it.