Temp 2 sensor mods

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Vwjue73
80-90 Mem No: 0

Temp 2 sensor mods

Post by Vwjue73 »

Hi found a post from aiden Talbot regarding a mod to the temp 2 sensor which wasn't hard to do can aiden or someone let me know what it is and with whatresults thanks guys 🤔👍also mentioned an upgrade on the ecu any help??mine's a 2.1 dj...

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Re: Temp 2 sensor mods

Post by maxstu »

Is there an engine or cooling problem you are hoping to resolve?
Don't recall seeing either article. But that doesn't mean they do not exist if course. Aidan is certainly your man for solving gearbox issues though. And a smattering of general T25 knowledge too.
MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
1987 DG1.9 LPG Auto Autosleeper
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

I had a South African Syncro that had a modified 2.1 engine, DJ with a big bore exhaust, altered ratio rocker heads which had been flowed, and so to fool the ECU into giving more fuel the air flow meter was messed with ( I don't know the details of how) and there was a 1kohm resistor in parallel across the temp2 sender which had the effect of making the ecu think it was running warmer than it was and getting more air than it was, hence it would provide more fuel. That engine is now in HulleysBus. The AFM is in Holland on a 2.5 WBX. The ECU is in the original Syncro.
This was a mechanical way of getting round the inability of the tuner to modify the DJ ECU which had a soldered eprom on a flexible circuit board.

The MV ECU has a removable eprom so back in the day a UK tuner Superchips did a modified chip, but they were rare. I no longer have the contact information of the one person I have come across who had one and was willing to share the chip if anyone had the means to read it and copy the data onto other chips.

I have contacted both the SA company and Superchip many years ago and they have no interest in sharing the information and/or no longer have the ability to flash a chip so it is all moot really unless someone has the technology to read the eprom and reverse engineer the map on the ECU, without having the memory location information or the i/o information parameters. You'd have to work for Bosch and have pretty serious credentials to get hold of the information nowadays. Same with the Oettinger (Okrasa) stuff, the company no longer has the information nor any desire to disseminate it, most importantly because of heavy contractual obligation to Bosch. And being German  :lol: 

If you want to modify the fuel injection system you'd be better off working with a stand alone ECU system from one of the companies that work in this field today, they are cheap and programmable but you'd need a fair bit of knowledge and understanding to make it work on a basic input engine. It took GoWesty a good while to develop their engine management system which is reflected in the cost of it, if it is actually available to the public for use on the highway. And you'd have to make a loom.

Vwjue73
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Vwjue73 »

Thanks for clearing that up for me aiden 👍