A Numpty and his 2.1 Project

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Stesaw
80-90 Mem No: 17004

Re: A Numpty and his 2.1 Project

Post by Stesaw »

maxstu wrote: 18 Apr 2021, 18:19
Stesaw wrote: 18 Apr 2021, 16:50
Oh while I think about getting bits.
What sort of hylomar do people put on the liner gasket that goes between the head and barrel? 

Also thinking of reusing my oil pump cover plate. It did have some score marks on where the old pump gears where against it. I know it needs to be a nice flat surface so I've been using some fine wet and dry on it to get the scuffs and scratches out, needs more work but I'll get a marker pen and draw some lines across it when I next do some sanding on it so I can gauge how flat it is.

I can send to you my spare gasket set if needed?

I followed Itchy's rebuild and put a fine finger wipe smear of blue Holymar (very technical) on both sides of rings between liners and heads. A belts and braces approach, apparently. But as l haven't run engine yet....who can say!

As for the oil pump plate? I gave it a visual inspection. Front plate looked fine. So l fitted a new gasket and set nuts to correct torque with some Holymar on the threads.

Moving date 4th May. Coincidentally Maxine's birthday. :rofl

Thanks for the offer Stu, Heritage seem to think it should be this week or next for the Victor Reinz sets to come back in stock.
Yeah I've read his and other threads but when looking up whats best to use some say Hylomar AF some say Blue.  Both are non setting so what's the difference? I guess for the purposes and amount that I'd need wouldn't have thought it would make a difference.

I might take you up on that offer and ship you mine when it gets here if its going to take another month or so!

Although thinking about it and the heads, I haven't checked to see what the valve wear is like on the exhaust valves, they seem to seal pretty well, did a test of just filling up the intake and exhaust ports on the head with parts cleaner and waited to see if there was any leakage from them. Only two of the exhaust ones weeped a bit, so I should at least lap them, but you know, in for a penny and all that :roll:

I've ordered the correct oil pump nuts with the sealing rings on them, I know fancy right! along with a new oil relief spring and adapter for a vdo thermostat to sit there. Been draggin my face against the underside of the van today installing wiring for the pressure and temp gauges, no ramps or stands as the syncro is currently residing on them so that was fun.

300CE wrote: 18 Apr 2021, 19:11 I used Hylomar AF on mine (scroll down for AF):

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/hylomar-g ... ounds.html

I’ve dug out my old rebuild link if that helps at all:

viewtopic.php?t=163364
Thanks for that CE I've been looking but everywhere keeps saying out of stock of hylomar so I think Ill nab a tube from them sharpish.
I've seen your build as well, I think I've gone through everyone of them on the forums.

I hope mine (and Stu's) goes as well as yours!
1985 LeisureDrive 2.1DJ 5 Speed syncro conversion project.
1979 LT 2.0CH Westy project

300CE
80-90 Mem No: 12017

Post by 300CE »

No worries mate, I’m sure it’ll all be fine.

Well worth lapping in the valves whilst it’s all stripped and worth coating some of the areas with graphite paste to reduce the wear for first time start up :ok
'86 DG, Weber Carb

Stesaw

Post by Stesaw »

300CE wrote: 18 Apr 2021, 20:17 No worries mate, I’m sure it’ll all be fine.

Well worth lapping in the valves whilst it’s all stripped and worth coating some of the areas with graphite paste to reduce the wear for first time start up :ok

Hope so,

Time will tell, was hoping to get engine removal coinciding with removing the engine from the syncro so I only have to rent a hoist for a day but might have to do it in stages. I don't have any ratchet straps so I cannot do the iffy way of engine removal.  :lol: 

Stesaw

Post by Stesaw »

Stillll waiiiitiin,

Sent Heritage a message last Thursday, was told gasket set 4 weeks  :|, pushrod tubes the same.. Hol' up, Two weeks ago I was told the pushrod tubes were set aside for my order. After a min or so chap on the other end said they had been set aside and he made a mistake. Was also told the other bit I am waiting on was sent out to me, but I've recieved no notifications nor order updates for it. Hmm maybe it will turn up on my doorstep tomorrow.

I asked him to cancel the gasket set and the pushrods as well if they were indeed not in stock. I had to dash then so I left the chat sharpish. I also emailed them on Thursday afternoon to confirm that is what I wanted to do, haven't heard back yet. Granted it's Bank Hol so see what happens tomorrow.

The funny thing was I was told they would be sent out free because of back order, however both items are over £50 each so it would be free postage anyway regardless.  :?

Stesaw

Post by Stesaw »

Got a phonecall today, cleared things up, pushrod tubes should be here tomorrow.
Gasket set has been cancelled, so off on the hunt. Ordered from Brickwerks, so maybe I can finish this soon  :shock:

Stesaw

Post by Stesaw »

Ohh what's this? (I mighta ordered the wrong belt :roll: )
I'm just putting seals where they fit! (I do check the book now and then :wink: )
Didn't bloody focus on what I wanted. I assume this slightly oval seal is for the dizzy neck? as I'm struggling to figure out where it goes.
Now, where do these go..
I assume one is for the drain plug and one is for the dipstick, as for the rest.. Maybe the book will say but I was eagar!

Do you think someone had a loose dipstick?
This tube is a bit mullered but if it fits snug it will have to suffice for now.

Oh yeah one small thing... also obligatory large hammer. look at that carpet!!!.. :shock:, where I was building this was a nightmare for keeping things clean. The carpet is there because the garage has an old wooden train sleeper floor that is rotting away not good. 

I made the mistake of trying to wipe off the excess sealant while still wet.. so it smeared it.
The trained eye will notice I am missing a case stud in the top (although I think that one was a nut and bolt). I am also missing a stud in the bottom, no feggin clue where they went as I kept everything together so I am going to have to look around. I reused the Three M10's yes yes bad me but the m8's were all new. I did have new M10 nuts but they were not as thick as the old ones so I just plopped those back on and all torqued to spec. I spent a fair bit of time cleaning up threads with the thread file after the engine shop butchery. All nuts went on by hand nicely after I'd finished and everything was cleaned.. again :shock: .

Sorry for no more build pictures of installing pistons and such. Phone was on charge as I was doing it.
I had problems when installing pistons I ordered two replacement pin circlips from Heritage, however one was too small and loose so I had to plop an old one back in. Not only that dummy here was rotating the engine without securing the sleeves in place as I went fitting the pistons so I ended up pushing the sleeves off the piston rings. So off came the pistons again to get them back in.. luckily I did that because number 3 piston was fairly tight on the rod, as in it wouldn't fall under its own weight. So I took the gudgeon pin and rubbed it in some oiled 1200 wet and dry and also used a socket that fit snugly with some wet and dry on the small end. Cleaned all up with some wd40 and clean rags, relubed and installed. Those pins were a bugger to get in having to line up the rod with the piston.
Hylomar on the compression rings between the heads and barrels both sides. I didn't use any sealant on the bottom barrel seals. I did think about it but as the books don't mention it and I recalled reading that the seals would be sufficient once torqued down.

The heads all torqued up nicely, I followed the zigzag pattern firstly just hand tight while I did the other side then I went to 30nm, then to 50nm. Lifters all lubed up and cam paste put on the ends then installed along with the pushrod tubes.
Dizzy drive went in, was paranoid about those washers falling into the case, I meant to put it in with the case split but I got ahead of myself! Using some thick assembly lube on the washers so they'd stick and not move around and using a pushrod down the dizzy hole as a guide I dropped them in place and just pressed them gently with another push rod before putting the dizzy drive in with the small half moon towards the water pump and the notch lined with the dizzy mount stud, Oh and the engine set to TDC on number one piston of course.

I've yet to fit the pushrods in because I need new washers for the rocker assembly studs. Plus I think new adjusters as the old ones are pretty beat up. I assume the washer I need are just spring washers?

So, what's next? find two studs for the engine, either new or go digging in the pit for them. Fit all the other bits such as oil cooler, and related pipes. Might have to re-use all old ones for now til funds allow new shiney stainless stuff. Got a new oil filler pipe coming from DoubleOseven on here so that can go on.

Still got end play to check, I feel I shoulda done that before the heads etc but cannot fit the flywheel on with it being on the engine stand.

Stesaw

Post by Stesaw »

Thinking about the missing case studs/bolt. Would some 8mm 8.8 threaded bar cut to size be strong enough? Or maybe would it be best to go to 10.9 grade?

Stesaw

Post by Stesaw »

Got the oil pipe from DoubleOseven, turns out its for a diesel and not a petrol. Oops! Should have asked before buying it i guess! 

Stesaw

Post by Stesaw »

Well ordered some 10.9 grade threaded bar and nuts the other day. Recieved today so I measured up and cut down the bar into suitable sized bits for the two missing studs.
hopefully now thats all behind me.

Still have the oil pump / face plate clearance to check but other than that and the end float its pretty much there, just hope I didn't muck anything up as it would be a bugger stripping it again. Those little tubes of yellow stud sealant aren't cheap.

Stesaw

Post by Stesaw »

Fitted the oil pump without a gasket between the gears and the cover, just a bit of hylomar around the edge. Fitted a gasket between the engine case and pump body, again with a smear of hylomar. After reading a few build threads I also opted to use a small amount of hylomar around the oil passage ways on the case and pump body in a semi circle, that way when fitting the pump none of the stuff got pushed into the oil passages and should hopefully help oil go where its supposed to.

Stesaw

Post by Stesaw »

Ok so, nearly a year later, again.. :shock:
Was getting some iffy running on the 1.9 and it was getting more noticable so I pulled the plugs, 3/4 were wet and oily 1/2 were fine.
Stuck a camera down the spark hole and saw this. :roll:

Both 3/4 were the same so might explain the horrific emissions failure on the MOT and shonky running.. so 2.1 going In I guess!

Engine out, without a crane this was interesting balancing it on my floor jack.. but it worked.

Next day cleaned all the metal work and repainted it with some spare paint I have.

While I was at it I drained the gearbox oil and took the bellhousing off as I had an annoying leak from it, fitted a gasket with a light coating of grease to hold it while putting it back on, was simple enough.

Today as the light was fading..

Squeezed the engine under the van on a trolley so it was just about the right height to line up with the gearbox, a bit of faffing later and its buttoned up, will torque all the bolts up to spec tomorrow.

As the 2.1 doesn't have the mechanical pump and I dont want to faff taking it off the other engine, I will be fitting an electric pump.
That will be done tomorrow once all the pipes and everythings been refitted.

All in all so far, not a bad job. I'm just hoping now I don't have any coolant/oil leaks!

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Post by maxstu »

Good progress, Steve. :ok
Im sure the gods of water and oil will look down favourably upon you. They didnt on me! :(
I put the 1.9 in last week. Only today did l finally make it water tight.
I stupidly put the (old one) wrong thermostat in. No flow.
Then both thermostat housing sensor's leaked. So change back to metal clips instead of flimsy plastic.
Then the most inaccessible oil cooler pipe leaked from (oetiker) clip. Changed to a solid jubilee.
Unseen pinprick in the large metal coolant pipe. Changed out. Next one too short. So bit the bullet and got the stainless beauty out l was saving for when the 2.1 engine goes back (still laying on garage floor dripping oil) the camper.
Transmission oil cooler decided to start dripping ATF. New o'rings fitted.
And today found a small drip from the small S shaped rubber pipe between coolant tank and stainless coolant pipe.
Oh joy!
Carry on the good work. Luck surely is on your side.

Not all pipes are made equal!!!
MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Oh! And two pushrods are ever so lightly weeping oil. I'll live with it.

:ok
MaxStu

Stesaw

Post by Stesaw »

Sounds like you're having a blast :lol:

Yeah I've reused pipes and bits, but they will get sorted when some £ comes in.

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Stesaw wrote: 29 Jan 2022, 20:35 Sounds like you're having a blast :lol:

Yeah I've reused pipes and bits, but they will get sorted when some £ comes in.

:ok

Happy spannering!
MaxStu