Page 1 of 1
100A alternator
Posted: 03 Oct 2026, 19:11
by Donnybri
Hello all,
Does anybody know of a 100A alternator as a direct replacement for the original in a 1.9dg? I’m aware of the 90A but I’m looking for a 100A to pair with a dc to dc charger.
Thanks in advance
Re: 100A alternator
Posted: 03 Oct 2026, 20:41
by cobblers
The ratings are very approximate. A 90A alternator is just as likely to output 100A under full load as it is 80A. Depending on the type of alternator, some will only safely output their rated current for a short while before overheating.
If you need a 100% guaranteed minimum of 100A for any sustained period, you need to upgrade your alternator well past 100A. I think SHC were offering something about 150A a while ago but it seems to have disappeared.
What has lead you to believe you need a 100A alternator?
If it's the recommendation from the supplier of your DC-DC charger, it's probably an oversimplification expecting a more modern vehicle which needs a lot more power to run the rest of the electronics.
In a typical T25 with a 90A alternator, a typical 30A DC-DC charger is no problem, and 40A (maybe even 50A) would generally be fine if the charging system was kept in good condition and the vehicle wasn't repeatedly used for short winter journeys with a flat leisure battery.
Re: 100A alternator
Posted: 04 Oct 2026, 06:34
by shepster
I have a 90amp and a Victron 30amp btob/dc charger that works fine, coupled with the 105ah Fogstar lithium.
Re: 100A alternator
Posted: 04 Oct 2026, 15:52
by Donnybri
The system I will be using is an Anker power station to be paired with a Bluetti 560w dc to dc charger.
You’re right in that I looked at the required specs of the Bluetti, although it seems to be a fairly uniform requirement of 100A alternator.
I take your point that my van will likely be using lower current than a modern vehicle, at the very worst I’ll be using lights, wipers, radio, heater and radiator fan at the same time. Oh and power steering.
I was more worried about slow moving and standing traffic situations with the engine running at idle.
Input amperage is 50A at 12v.
Thanks for the replies.