This one is puzzling me, what’s your thoughts?
Posted: 27 Sep 2026, 14:51
Electrical puzzle?
Engine starts and runs fine, no problems there at all! Water cooling light extinguishes as it should after 4 seconds or so, BUT every now and then it will start flashing at random times.
OK I thought, as I need to replenish the coolant, I will drain and thoroughly flush the system, refill with correct type and ratio of antifreeze and water.
Random flashing again!
OK, bad contact with wires onto coolant level indicator sensor, so cleaned and sprayed with electrical contact cleaner. Have a new coolant sensor on order.
Thought it had fixed it but then went on 230 mile round trip yesterday to collect eBay purchase, more about that later - it is van related!
During the journey was noticing the light flashing again in what I thought was a random sequence. Little by little I began to understand when and why it was doing this. Should say at this point I have a dash cam wired in permanently, don’t know if this is relevant?
Put indicators on, no flashing light.
Apply brakes / lights, no flashing light.
Put hazard lights on, flashing coolant light when on and for several minutes after switching them off!
Put side lights on, flashing coolant light on and for several minutes after switching them off!
Flash headlights to call someone forward, flashing coolant light when on and for several minutes!
Put headlights on, flashing coolant light for several minutes when on and after switching them off!
Noticed when big power drain, ie headlights, tachograph would stop working!
Managed to get home before it got dark as not sure what was happening on the outside of the van!
So my diagnosis; either the alternator is not able to keep up with the electrical demands at times so pulls power from the battery to assist with needs, then takes a time to replenish battery and whilst it’s doing this the coolant sensor is starved of power, or battery is failing so alternator is struggling to meet demands.
Initial tests done:
Battery voltage at rest ie. engine off:12.75
Battery voltage after starting / stopping engine and coolant light stopped flashing: 13.3
Voltage at alternator with engine running coolant light stopped flashing: 14.4
My thoughts are that the alternator is not producing enough power output for demands of the systems so could do with replacing / upgrading. Internal voltage regulator faulty?
Or, battery is on the way out and needs replacing, no date label on battery
Or, even both need replacing!!!!
So what thoughts are out there? Am I getting close to a possible solution or am I miles away? Please?
Engine starts and runs fine, no problems there at all! Water cooling light extinguishes as it should after 4 seconds or so, BUT every now and then it will start flashing at random times.
OK I thought, as I need to replenish the coolant, I will drain and thoroughly flush the system, refill with correct type and ratio of antifreeze and water.
Random flashing again!
OK, bad contact with wires onto coolant level indicator sensor, so cleaned and sprayed with electrical contact cleaner. Have a new coolant sensor on order.
Thought it had fixed it but then went on 230 mile round trip yesterday to collect eBay purchase, more about that later - it is van related!
During the journey was noticing the light flashing again in what I thought was a random sequence. Little by little I began to understand when and why it was doing this. Should say at this point I have a dash cam wired in permanently, don’t know if this is relevant?
Put indicators on, no flashing light.
Apply brakes / lights, no flashing light.
Put hazard lights on, flashing coolant light when on and for several minutes after switching them off!
Put side lights on, flashing coolant light on and for several minutes after switching them off!
Flash headlights to call someone forward, flashing coolant light when on and for several minutes!
Put headlights on, flashing coolant light for several minutes when on and after switching them off!
Noticed when big power drain, ie headlights, tachograph would stop working!
Managed to get home before it got dark as not sure what was happening on the outside of the van!
So my diagnosis; either the alternator is not able to keep up with the electrical demands at times so pulls power from the battery to assist with needs, then takes a time to replenish battery and whilst it’s doing this the coolant sensor is starved of power, or battery is failing so alternator is struggling to meet demands.
Initial tests done:
Battery voltage at rest ie. engine off:12.75
Battery voltage after starting / stopping engine and coolant light stopped flashing: 13.3
Voltage at alternator with engine running coolant light stopped flashing: 14.4
My thoughts are that the alternator is not producing enough power output for demands of the systems so could do with replacing / upgrading. Internal voltage regulator faulty?
Or, battery is on the way out and needs replacing, no date label on battery
Or, even both need replacing!!!!
So what thoughts are out there? Am I getting close to a possible solution or am I miles away? Please?