Page 1 of 1
Drive shaft oil seal removal tool
Posted: 04 Aug 2026, 19:27
by Beakster
Hi,
I need to change my drive shaft oil seals on the gear box. Can someone point me to a good tool on ebay or Amazon which works well for this job? I've seen lots of different types online so really just looking for guidance as to what type works best for these particular seals.
Thanks
Re: Drive shaft oil seal removal tool
Posted: 05 Aug 2026, 17:05
by silverbullet
You need one of those generic double hook jobbies, all the same
Re: Drive shaft oil seal removal tool
Posted: 06 Aug 2026, 08:11
by maxstu
I've seen mechanics use a self tapping screw carefully installed in the seal. Then pulled out with pliers.
Re: Drive shaft oil seal removal tool
Posted: 06 Aug 2026, 12:02
by silverbullet
You've got to be quite lucky with that technique, if the seal has a decent fit in the bore the screw just rips out. Been there, under the car, stopped the job, bought the tool, waited for delivery...happy days.
Re: Drive shaft oil seal removal tool
Posted: 08 Sep 2026, 12:53
by Nick Stroud
silverbullet wrote: ↑06 Aug 2026, 12:02
You've got to be quite lucky with that technique, if the seal has a decent fit in the bore the screw just rips out. Been there, under the car, stopped the job, bought the tool, waited for delivery...happy days.
I'm struggling to get me seal out at the moment. I've soaked it in WD40 and will see if that releases it. I've ordered a lever tool I've seen on You tube. What tool did you use? Does heating the seal help get it out?
Re: Drive shaft oil seal removal tool
Posted: 08 Sep 2026, 19:03
by silverbullet
iirc I bought a generic "US Pro"

branded one.
They are a good fit, spraying oil on it won't help. Get the tool, the long handle is essential because you have to distort it as well as overcome friction and the interference fit.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134448210400 ... pjEALw_wcB
Re: Drive shaft oil seal removal tool
Posted: 08 Sep 2026, 19:21
by Nick Stroud
All sorted and the seal is out. I used a 22mm spanner wedged into the seal and it came out with a few heavy taps of the lump hammer!