One for the Diesel gurus

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Stesaw
80-90 Mem No: 17004

One for the Diesel gurus

Post by Stesaw »

So, I am very green with Diesels...

Got a chap who wants an AAZ building up, I've told him that i've no real experience with them but he's OK with that. Got new gaskets, new JX clutch, recon head.
The plan is plonk all his 1.6 stuff onto it as he lost the timing belt.
Now the JX intake manifold is O shaped compared to AAZ which is a D shape... doesn't look like theres much metal to port out the 1.6 manifold..
I've searched for AAZ intake manifolds but have come up dry.. whats gonna fit and be available without breaking the bank?

Also, Pump timing. I guess the only real way to do it properly is get the pump tool to clock it correctly, or can you do it somewhat like a distributor?

I assume any 1.9TD manifold will fit, like ABL code etc then blank off any ports not required?

Also while thinking about it, has anyone rebuilt a turbo? his is pretty darn oily inside so I'm very hesitant to fit it only for it to make the engine run away..
1985 LeisureDrive 2.1DJ 5 Speed syncro conversion project.
1979 LT 2.0CH Westy project

ZsZ
80-90 Mem No: 14899

Re: One for the Diesel gurus

Post by ZsZ »

For the manifold you have a few options.
If you want to keep the JX one you can weld/epoxy up the valleys on between the ports, then plane it and match the ports.
With AAZ manifold you either weld on a side flange mount surface then drill, tap and move the flange. Or just make custom intake piping.
Any later intake manifold will fit, but with those you will need to deal with the holes for EGR

BTW i had the JX on no problem for years without port matching

Just found it in the Wiki
https://club8090.co.uk/wiki/Alternative_engine_1.9TD
Zoltan
1986 Multivan ex-Caravelle. Van since 2006, running mTDi 1Z since 2008 with Fiat Croma 1.9 TDid pump 2008-2019, custom pump since 2019
5spd custom box 4.57 diff + 0.74 5th

Stesaw
80-90 Mem No: 17004

Post by Stesaw »

Thanks for that, I'll put it forward to him and see what he wants to do and we can go from there.
:ok
1985 LeisureDrive 2.1DJ 5 Speed syncro conversion project.
1979 LT 2.0CH Westy project

Cecil
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Cecil »

Melett is i believe a UK company that would be able to supply a pre balanced turbocharger core ( chra) which may be an option for fitting to your existing turbo ,depending on its condition I guess. New oil feed pipe recommended when fitting a new turbo!