Re: Noisy cruising ex-Army 1.7 diesel
Posted: 25 Sep 2026, 21:09
If luck is on your side your transmission noise may be because of broken springs in the centre of the clutch friction plate.
lowtimeppl wrote: ↑24 Sep 2026, 19:15
And keep the ABF gearbox?
And today, I realised that in fact, when the vehicle is in motion, something in the transmission is noisy - grumbly, rattling, chattering..when I put the clutch in, and you can just hear the engine, its comparatively quiet quiet...but when the clutch is engaged, the noise really increases. The vehicle body and everything really is in extremely good virtually rust-free condition, it has been looked after by the Bundeswehr, that's why I bought, I was sick of finding (ie being lied to about) body rot so sought out a good body thinking I could change up the mechanicals if I wanted. Want has now become need.
Really appreciating the knowledge, I've had standard 1.9C wasserboxer and 2.0CU air-cooled before now.