Page 6 of 6

Re: Time to tidy my van.

Posted: 30 Sep 2018, 14:25
by Woodyyellow
Thanks multisi

I gave it all trying to remove that arm! The outer circlip was missing, the arm was out of alignment and was solidly rusted to the shaft. I did some damage to the under surface of the arm, non to the bellhousing thankfully but do have a replacement arm to use on the ‘new’ clutch.

ImageIMG_2082 by Grandpawoody, on Flickr

Re: Time to tidy my van.

Posted: 24 Apr 2019, 15:15
by Woodyyellow
Hi all, I hope to be back soon.
This is how my poor van has been left for quite a while now.

ImageIMG_2430 by Grandpawoody, on Flickr

Sadly I lost my wife to Cancer at the beginning of this month. This was almost the last photo I have of her, taken on New Years Day.
My family have been a great source of strength and inspiration to me.

ImageVersion 2 by Grandpawoody, on Flickr

Now, I hope to be back at work on my van soon.
I would like to say a big thank you to all forum members for their continuing posting on the forum, I have read every post placed during this dark time, it has given me some hope for the future.

Watch this space, I have plans for getting the van back on the road as soon as I can now.

Re: Time to tidy my van.

Posted: 24 Apr 2019, 21:51
by george2490
Sorry for your loss.
Hopefully your van will help you keep going.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Re: Time to tidy my van.

Posted: 27 Apr 2019, 21:44
by Helgablue
Sorry for your loss, glad you have the support of your family.

Keep us all posted with pictures of the van progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Time to tidy my van.

Posted: 21 Jul 2019, 10:22
by Woodyyellow
Well, at long long last, I’ve finally managed to do some work on my van!
It’s not been easy, so much other work to do around the home but hey, some time on my van has been good.
So first task was clearing the inside of the van of its roll as being a storage of bits.

ImageIMG_2528 by Grandpawoody, on Flickr

Once this was done I could assess the small amount of holes/rust that needed treatment. I have decided to not use the table leg that needs a floor hole, so this was welded up and treated. Two other small rust areas welded, surface rust treated and the floor was ready for a coat of paint.

ImageIMG_2570 by Grandpawoody, on Flickr

New floor is a sheet of 12 mm exterior plywood. Cut for a snug fit all round and then 3 coats of exterior varnish on the underside and 2 coats on the top.

ImageIMG_2572 by Grandpawoody, on Flickr

ImageIMG_2577 by Grandpawoody, on Flickr

I needed to cut an access hole for a fitting I’m installing - more details on this later when I have more to show - and no I’m not fitting an angle grinder under the van!

ImageIMG_2585 by Grandpawoody, on Flickr

A small 2 mm reinforcing plat was fitted around this hole, puddle welded and painted.

Imagefullsizeoutput_860 by Grandpawoody, on Flickr

Time for a final fitting check prior to drill fastening holes, all good.

ImageIMG_2591 by Grandpawoody, on Flickr

To hold the ply down I decided to use flush fitting T nuts and stainless pan head machine screws. I first ordered 14 mm long ones but found that yes too long. Thought about cutting them down to 10 mm but the decided to order new ones.

ImageIMG_2608 by Grandpawoody, on Flickr

ImageIMG_2609 by Grandpawoody, on Flickr

ImageIMG_2611 by Grandpawoody, on Flickr

ImageIMG_2613 by Grandpawoody, on Flickr

I positioned all the fittings to the raised areas of the floor to ensure that the ply was firmly held down.

ImageIMG_2614 by Grandpawoody, on Flickr

And there we have it, floor finally fitted, 3rd coat of varnish and all done.

ImageIMG_2630 by Grandpawoody, on Flickr

Very pleased with the work done, looks good to me.
Next will be the overhaul and fitting of the interior, engine to prepare, gearbox to sort out, brakes and suspension to check/replace, new tyres to buy and exterior paint to finish and polish! Not much to do then! Onwards and upwards. Till next time.