Fully synthetic oil compatability

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

footstuck
80-90 Mem No: 7622

Fully synthetic oil compatability

Post by footstuck »

Hi
I was looking forward to the next off road meet but suspension and engine issues are making it less likely
I've got a rear main oil seal blown and the question is
will using Fully synthetic engine oil attack the AAZ type crank seals?
because of the cost of the rear main seal plate on my TDI, I fitted the early type seal housing and loose seal.
its only lasted 25k and I've never had an issue with one before.
Any thoughts?

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Re: Fully synthetic oil compatability

Post by AdrianC »

footstuck wrote:will using Fully synthetic engine oil attack the AAZ type crank seals?

No. Or any other type of seal. Or any other engine component. On an AAZ or a WBX or ANY engine, VW or not.

Just google for "synthetic oil damage engine", and there's umpteen hundred results going into all sorts of technical detail about exactly why it just plain can't happen.

FWIW, I've been running this van (2.1DJ) on semi-synth now for 30k km, currently a bit north of 250k km total, and it's not drinking or dripping any. I've not had to top it up between changes, every 10k km.
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;