Let the work begin...

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Peter-T
80-90 Mem No: 10644

Let the work begin...

Post by Peter-T »

So i've been this morning to see Creative Coachworks in Wem, Shropshire. I've discussed with them all my ideas, my plans etc, they think it's all very do-able and, once complete, will be a total one-off, and a very unique van!

Alan at CC has said he's quite excited to get the project going and is looking forward to seeing the end result.
As such, they are picking up the van from me in Norfolk in just over 2 weeks time, and will draw up a schedule of work, and some estimated costs, with a view of getting started ASAP. I've told them my monthly budget and they are happy to work to that amount!

I've got some pretty crazy ideas, and was half expecting to be told 1) it's not possible and 2) you can't afford it, but thankfully it's turned out quite the opposite!

Needless to say but i'm a very very happy guy right now!! :D

Thanks
Image 1981 2.0 Aircooled Devon

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Re: Let the work begin...

Post by ghost123uk »

Peter-T wrote: I've got some pretty crazy ideas, and was half expecting to be told 1) it's not possible and 2) you can't afford it, but thankfully it's turned out quite the opposite!

Go on Go on Go on, tell us what the plan is :wink:
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

Peter-T

Post by Peter-T »

ghost123uk wrote:
Peter-T wrote: I've got some pretty crazy ideas, and was half expecting to be told 1) it's not possible and 2) you can't afford it, but thankfully it's turned out quite the opposite!

Go on Go on Go on, tell us what the plan is :wink:

Lets just say, it's having some quite extensive work.. including a custom interior re-trim, suspension work, and some features that'll make it more useable as a camper :)

Peter-T

Post by Peter-T »

Ok, not updated this for a while. Time to get back on it.

So poor Jimmy is in a bit of a state right now. Probably feeling a little unloved, but that will soon all change.

As said in the earlier post, I saw Alan last month, discussed all my ideas and plans for Jimmy. I've spent a long, long time thinking about how I want this van to look and feel, and he commented that it showed, when I had planned nearly every detail for it.

I had previously kept my idea quiet, but now that Jimmy has been picked up, and transported to Creative Coachworks in Shropshire ready for the work to begin, i'll let you all in on my plans.

I appriciate this is a long post, so if you can't be bothered to read, there is a summary list at the bottom :)
The work is due to start in May (for finacial reasons) where he will be completely stripped back to a rolling shell. Creative will then send him away to be sandblasted (thats one of the only jobs they don't do in-house). Once he has returned, he'll be cleaned up and covered in an epoxy primer.

Next comes the bodywork repairs (after the sandblast has shown them what they're up against). I know from the outside theres a few things to be done, the N/S locker door will be some repairs, the O/S rear corner looks to be slightly dented, and the seatbelt mounting points will both need welding. They will be able to see if the paint has been hiding any nasty repairs, fingers crossed.

Then comes some of the modifications. My plans for Jimmy are as follows:

The van currently has one rear door, being a RHD model, on the N/S. This will be complemented with an additional door on the rear O/S. These will be be engineered and modified to open backwards (Suicide doors). The B pillar will be removed, and therefore the front doors will shut onto the rear doors. Think the back doors of a, for example, Ford Transit panel van, you have to open one before the other can be opened. My aim with this, is that once all four doors are open, with the lack of B pillar, the cab will feel very open, and airy.

To complement the newly acquired open feel, the roof panel is going to be cut out, and replaced with a glass roof. Although, when I say glass, I mean Perspex. This is mainly due to the cost of a one-off custom glass piece, and also the weight of such a unit. The roof glass will be tinted slightly so that IF the sun ever comes out in the UK, the occupants won't be boiled like they're in a green house. I will also have a two-part blind system in place. One blind that can be pulled from the front (i.e the top of the windscreen) backwards to the centre by the driver, and one that can be pulled from the rear forwards to the center. This is so that if the sun does get too warm, i'll be able to pull the blind accross whilst driving. My aim with this, is that the van will, even if it's raining and dreary outside, still feel light and bright.

Continuing the Perspex theme, the rear window of the cab always looked to me like it should have been made bigger. There seems to be a recess that spans the entire width of the rear panel, but the window only takes up 75% of that. I intend to have that window taken out, and the window opening cut out to use the entire width of the rear panel. I then want the new perspex window the be able to open outwards.

The interior of the cab is slightly more out of the box again. I've always wanted a campervan, but also want the practicality of the crewcab (muddy bikes, kayaks etc). For this reason, I started thinking of a way to get the bed within the cab area so I can use the van year-round, and not be sleeping in the pick-up bed. The front seats will be captain seats that rotate 180degrees to face rearwards. There will be a table, westfalia style, on an arm that will sit behind the passenger front seat. I plan to have a rear bench seat with 3 seats, but heres where it gets complicated.
The locker doors are going to be sealed up, and the metal panel that separates the cab and the locker is going to be removed. The locker will be insulated and will be come part of the cab.
The rear bench seat will have a custom mount made so that it can rock'n'roll into a flat position, but then decend down to the floor of the cab, and join up with the area provided by the locker. This locker space will contain 1/3 of a bed, that the bench seat will complete the other 2/3s. This will, as near as dam it, make a decent size double bed. The locker-come-bed area will provide some storage space when the rear bench is in seat form also.

Now onto the rear pick-up bed.
Firstly, it will be covered with a custom made canvas, where both side panels will be pulled outwards to provide shelter for what will be happening underneath.
On the drivers side, there will be a custom made wooden cabinet running (probably) the entire length of the bed. It will contain cupboards, draws etc, general storage space I don't have in the cab. This will be my 'kitchen' if you like. On the drop-down side panel there will be held at 90degrees to the van, so it is horizontal, there will also be a gas stove mounted, and the dropside will be panelled so as to provide a worktop if you like.
On the passenger side, the drop-down panel will drop-down to lower than the height of the flatbed, whilst being held horizontally, and a panel will fold out to provide a table. This way, I don't have to use space in the flatbed for a table, it's built into the van. More space for beer :D .

For as long as I can remember, i've really liked LOW, LOW cars. Of the nine cars i've owned so far, 5 have been lowered. The van will be no different. Having looked at various amounts of lowered-ness, i've decided that Jimmy will be treated to air-ride. Springs and shocks just don't get it low enough for me. I hope to get the van (when the bags are emptied) scraping along the floor, just how I like them!

As for wheels, Jimmy will be sat on regular 14" steel rims, but they'll be banded to be wider, and provide a dish.

The bull bars that came on the van when i bought him will be staying on. As for colours then, I must have changed my mind about a hundred times on what colour I want Jimmy to be done in. However after seeing a colour I have been seriously considering for a while now in the flesh yesterday, i've finally decided.

The van is going to be vinyl wrapped in a Porsche colour called Riviera Blue. The canvas over the read bed will be done in a kind of burnt red colour, and the wheels, bumpers and bull-bars are going to be done in a Beigey-Creamy-Mocha type colour. This colour will continue on the interior for the leather seats which will have the same Red piping.

Thanks for reading, and i'd love to hear your thoughts, ideas, criticisms.

Summary list:

1) Twin rear suicide doors
2) Glass roof
3) Air Ride
4) Fancy interior bed contraption
5) Main colour: Blue

Thanks again.

:ok

Peter-T

Post by Peter-T »

Here's a picture of the Riviera Blue.

The blue of the body, and the red of the wheels, in the flesh, looks just slightly less bright.

The blue for the body, the red for the canvas.

ermie571
80-90 Mem No: 2129

Post by ermie571 »

Wow...that is going to be some ride!!

How the hell are you going to insure it?? Removing the B pillar is extensive surgery - guessing you will need an engineers report to demonstrate to the insurers that it is as strong as when it wasn't there?

I can hear the phone call

An insurance quote sir, certainly. Any modifications?

Answer 1.
Get a pen and paper, a coffee and put all calls on hold...we are going to be here some time.

Answer 2.
Well, I think the cigarette lighter is standard....

All the best with it, from your planning it sounds as if you know what you are doing!!

Em
xx
2.1 DJ 1990 Caravelle (died and gone to heaven)
2.0 AGG (1997 ish) 1984 transporter LPG

Peter-T

Post by Peter-T »

haha, thanks for the reply! And well noticed, I must have read that 3 times to make sure it all made sense, but forgot to include that there will be a custom roll cage fitted to replace the lost structual integrity.

wragster
80-90 Mem No: 10046

Post by wragster »

Sounds awesome, good luck with it :-)
1986 1.9d (1y n/a) Homebrew camper

Peter-T

Post by Peter-T »

Thanks very much.
Been waiting for the right van for so long, now i've got it, I just want it to be finished!

pocolow
80-90 Mem No: 6300

Post by pocolow »

All sounds great the only thing I'd say is spray it not wrap it..Ive seen a fair few wrapped vans which are spoilt when the wrap blisters /pops or gets scratched..

Mark :ok
thecampervanman.blogspot.co.uk/

http://twitter.com/#!/Pocolow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Peter-T

Post by Peter-T »

Yeah, I understand what your saying, however it's a case of the wrap is cheaper, and when I change my mind on the colour, which I know I will, a wrap is easier to change than having the expense and complexity of a full re-spray.

If the wrap does get torn, blistered etc, it's very easy to just re-wrap that panel.

Dave307
80-90 Mem No: 10742

Post by Dave307 »

That all sounds totally awesome. I think it will look brilliant.
I'm with you on the wrapping. I have had 2 cars wrapped and 4 bikes. It's the way forward. The great thing with it is that as long as it don't get damaged it don't rust underneath as no air etc can get to it.
Only advise is make sure it is all treated to death as you cant see the rust under the wrap and the last thing you want is rust under there as before you know it you lean on the van and fall through as happened to me and my mini a couple of years ago.

A yway good luck. Think it will look mega.

Remember the pics as work is done. We like pics.

Good luck.
Dave.

1986 watercooled 1.9DG

Peter-T

Post by Peter-T »

Thanks for your words of wisdom there Dave.

As part of the bare-metal restoration i'll be sealing it up to high heaven! It's 21 years old now, and I want it to still be taking me camping in another 21 years!

Don't worry, i'll get as many photos as possible, and you lucky lot on 80-90 will get full access! :)

jimpainter
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by jimpainter »

:ok
JRP Automotive welding,bodywork, resprays, servicing and repair.
Classic Vw's
Cheshire

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

Dave307 wrote: The great thing with it is that as long as it don't get damaged it don't rust underneath as no air etc can get to it.

A yway good luck. Think it will look mega.

Remember the pics as work is done. We like pics.

Good luck.
A painted panal will never rust because of exposure to air or prety much anyhting else, damage the paint then yes, but all the rust that will come trough will be from behind the paint :shock: within the seams and sad to say you wont really stop this, slow it yes slow it a lot
now hows about pickies as is and as we go along as its easier to see the work/style then reading about it.
mm :ok