Kevtherevagon

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

mm289
80-90 Mem No: 9111

Re: Kevtherevagon

Post by mm289 »

metalmick8y wrote:thats a thought, good gas conv. nice engine and upholstery, wheels good but rest is fit for a few, very few body cuts... so bout a grand then :roll:
mm

:D :D :D :D :D

Cheap as chips then

chips of rust that is :D

MM
'89 Autosleeper Trident
2.1 DJ
Member 9111

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

Ok my appologise for posting simmilar picks but just got camera back from the menders, (finger trouble) so have chopped a bit of screen rubber away and get a better idea of rust. I have a new upper front panal but to be honest its not really worth fitting as gthe damage is more on the corners away from this panal anyway.
and the bit in the middle is easier to fabricate and lead up
so looks like this van wont be broken then :mrgreen:
mm

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

Well that explains the wet floor Mike :D
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

it rather does dont it :mrgreen: the top repair panal Im having thoughts about fitting , yes it will do the m iddle part and some of the corners but still leaves some to fsabricate
so may make the lot or get a front cut and go right across :shock: which seems like more fun, pillar to pillar with good thick metal.
mm

Cruz
80-90 Mem No: 2092

Post by Cruz »

Holy rust holes batman!!!

waltraud
80-90 Mem No: 5824

Post by waltraud »

It's always interesting to see how far folks are prepared to go until something has to be done. But why not? Well, from own experience one day my dad's Morris traveller rear side window fell out because the wood was so rotten. It had been held in by a moss 'bead' of growth! So nowadays i can't bear to leave rust too long in case the sky falls on my head. Can't wait to see the progress on another one.
1983 1.9 Ivory Westy Joker

kevtherev

Post by kevtherev »

Yes waltraud, this mess is after I had a cheap repsray five years ago to check the rust for 3 years or so.
At least I saw the van blemish free for the first two of them

Five years on and it is getting on my pip, I can't stand to look at it any more.

to be fair to the fella who resprayed it, he did warn me that it would come back sooner rather than later.
I remember asking "how long have I got" ...like carol had a terminal disease :D (which I suppose she had)

all that is about to end ..

Cruz
80-90 Mem No: 2092

Post by Cruz »

Seeing the pictures of your van in the past at the Dam near Rhyader, the pimped leather captains seats and interior I always imagined your van to be a pristine beast Kev.

Are you keeping the same colours when re-sprayed?

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Well end it will...
pulled the front off ready for the first bit of repair
the sides seem quite good but we shall see.
Ive removed the very fine door cards as they are fart too posh to be intefered with... seats coming out too,
have rmoved the tunnel/rear heater ducting and the rubber mat, should dry out once I get the mop and bucket in there
picky wont show the puddle but at least it apears to have been caught in time,,will cut the screen out tommorow and access the repair needed,
mm

kevtherev

Post by kevtherev »

oh my goodness you have begun... :shock:

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Well,dash has to come out the way, wonder if the mess/er mass of wiring is an insight into the mind :lol:
the inner has gone, its not too bad but still wants doing once and for all
the job itself isnt that bad to do but its the stuff that should be removed to give access to do it right that takes as much time.
Now the other nasty thats been found is the roof,,,
there is no sealant/adhesive between the hitop and the roof, there was a rubber seal fitted and this allowed water to collect and run behind and cause the holes
Ive just edged a screwdriver here and the whole front and half the side lifts clear
which just allows more water to get in and cause more probs.
figure the roof is going to have to be lifted and this made good, at least it only has to be repaired and not made cosmetically good as its not seen, going to have to remove all the head lining etc :cry:
well not today, its a tommorow job..
mm

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Well,as I was inside I thought a quick picky of the front of the nsr arch,
Im thinking the best way is to remove the whole inner arch from the load bed out and make a new one, its had a new wing at some point and a genuine one at that,but looks to have been fitted over the remnants of the old one at the rear 1/4, pickys whhen I chop it out.
this is the inside front
will use the Qmax's to make some better holes and stick some grommets in, loads of bath sealnt across the front and the wood support was broken so been played with in there at some time
So out with the cutting blades and start to remove the roof
the roofs off another van as there are signs of previouse riviting and I doubt any converter would bodge one down in this miserable way.
anyhow all cut free so a gentle jacking up
just caught the rear in time
bit of gutter missing here so that will be a nice delicate job to make and let a piece in
front edge needs most work
Its easy doing this bit but so much has to come out the interior as you cannot risk welding with headlinings and stuff in the way, so onwards..
mm

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

It's gotta be nerve racking and exciting seeing your van like this.
Gearbox rebuild will push me back a few months :cry: plus I'll be scared to offroad it after you've worked your magic
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

kevtherev

Post by kevtherev »

It is exciting Lloydy I have to admit.

Roof from another van?
curiouser and curiouser

I know this might sound odd but it isn't as bad under the glass fibre...as I thought it would be... are the sides as worse mike?

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

watching mastercheff

... er the sides are good, ok a few rust patches almost like something has been forced against it, will check furthe r but it looks like the welding will be confined to the front plus a touch here and there on the gutters
, mm