Damn Mission Impossible in Finland to get tyres fitted

All things round and their alignment to your direction of travel

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Mickyfin
80-90 Mem No: 10312

Damn Mission Impossible in Finland to get tyres fitted

Post by Mickyfin »

I got quoted just over €650 Euros for a set of 4 tyres for my 14" Syncro no long ago, so swiftly walked away and said no thanks lol.

I then proceeded to track down some new tyres online, and made the purchase, €230 for 4 tyres, exactly the same make and profile, delivered! Result!

NOT!!

Phoning around several local garages here, asking for quotes on fitting my new tyres, and to include new valve, and balancing.

1st quote was €225 Euros :shock:
2nd quote was cheaper at €188 Euros :roll:
3rd, and quote Im going with is €70 Euros, and thats with me removing my wheels myself, getting them to remove old tyre, then fit my new tyre, then me refitting said wheel with new tyre back on my Syncro, then doing the same for the other 3 wheels.

Crazy or what?

In the UK, I had this kind of service done pretty much every couple of months being in the car restoration business, so was always buying tyres from Germany, and getting my local garage to fit them at just a fiver GBP each.

Damn its expensive here for the most mundane of things when it comes to motoring. Not many Finnish people do their own car maintenance either, so one has to wonder why, when its so expensive to do anything.

Just out of curiosity, I asked the garage that quoted me €225 to fit my new 4 tryes how much would it cost me for an oil change.

Anyone want to guess what they quoted me for a simple oil change inc oil, and filter?
Owner of Flintstone, our T3/25 Caravelle C Syncro 1.9 Petrol.

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Re: Damn Mission Impossible in Finland to get tyres fitted

Post by Titus A Duxass »

It's quite expensive here as well.
I think I paid about 60€ to my winters fitted.
Fitting.
New Valves
Balancing
Disposal of old tyres.

Oil and Filter changes cost me about 40€.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

ninja.turtle007
80-90 Mem No: 7278

Post by ninja.turtle007 »

I can get a tyre swapped for £10.

Cost of oil and filter €20 + labour €30 = €450
Full time Explorer http://www.resfeber.co.uk

Mickyfin

Post by Mickyfin »

Oil and fiter change €165 Euros including filter, and oil :lol:

Madness my friend.

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Many years ago before arthritis set in I changed a set of tyres myself - a lot of sweat and curses later I succeeded, still needed an airline to inflate them and get them balanced though. Not a procedure for the weak! I just wanted to prove that I could do it but have never done it since nor do I want to try. :)
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

Mickyfin

Post by Mickyfin »

I can imagine, I used to know a guy who started his tyre business from his back garden back in the UK, Jacko's was his name, he was always busy, removing tyres with a manual bar type thing, and then replacing them with the same lever bar, then inflating. He went on and expanded with a new premises, and as far as Im aware is doing very well for himself now, with a few members of staff.

Here in Finland there is a place called BILTEMA, and they sell the proper tyre changing machines, and Wheel balancing machines.

Tyre changing machine €889 Euro
Wheel Balancing machine €850 Euro

If I had the capital, I know what I would be doing. Undercutting the garages here offering an affordable trye fitted service for sure.

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

The garage owners in Finland must have money coming out of their ears! How do they justify such high prices? Do most people have a set of winter tyres already on rims or do they have to change the tyres for the snow? What a market for your new business if you wanted to start up!
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

Mickyfin

Post by Mickyfin »

Everyone, well, mostly everyone with a car do indeed have two sets of wheels, usually alloys for summer, with summer tyres, and a set of steels with winter tyres for the winters, which get to around -35 here, with 3-4ft of snow not uncommon. The winter tyres are studded ones, no snow chains. No salt on roads either.

80-90 Mem No: 3299

Post by 1664 »

Is where you live sparsely populated? The further you get from cities the more expensive goods and services get (in general)
Vorsprung Durch Technik my ar$e!

Mickyfin

Post by Mickyfin »

Yes, thats a good point. Middle of nowhere, and having said that, there is only 5 million people live in Finland which is slightly bigger than UK, and Scotland where there is almost 60 million people :lol:

bennwedge
80-90 Mem No: 3040

Post by bennwedge »

just had the same thing done last week , tyres fitted , balanced and with new valves.................£29.99 :D

Mickyfin

Post by Mickyfin »

Good price. Did you have to remove your wheels yourself though, and then refit when they fitted the new tyres?

Its tipping it down with rain here today and Im going to get soaked doing this, and I still have to pay €70 Euros. Seems crazy, but needs must.

Mickyfin

Post by Mickyfin »

Its still tipping it down, so sod it, will wait until its either topped, or see what the weather in like tomorrow. Sod paying €70 Euros to get wet lol

Mickyfin

Post by Mickyfin »

Well, we had a break in the weather so off I popped to the garage that quoted me the €70 Euros to change my tyres over for me, but upon arriving, and heading to the office, I was told, that will be €140 sir! I was like What? And you want me to remove the wheels too? They said yes> So I left.

On the way back home, I recall seeing a small tyre shop, which reminded me of an old friends workshop when I lived back in the UJK, he used to be a tire fitter. Popped in there, and the guy said, €60 Euros, and we will take the wheels off, swap your tyres over, adding new valves, and balancing, and do you fancy a coffee the owner said. We had a coffee, while his emplyees did a grand job, so happy days! :ok

jamesc76
80-90 Mem No: 1186

Post by jamesc76 »

Mickyfin wrote:Well, we had a break in the weather so off I popped to the garage that quoted me the €70 Euros to change my tyres over for me, but upon arriving, and heading to the office, I was told, that will be €140 sir! I was like What? And you want me to remove the wheels too? They said yes> So I left.

On the way back home, I recall seeing a small tyre shop, which reminded me of an old friends workshop when I lived back in the UJK, he used to be a tire fitter. Popped in there, and the guy said, €60 Euros, and we will take the wheels off, swap your tyres over, adding new valves, and balancing, and do you fancy a coffee the owner said. We had a coffee, while his emplyees did a grand job, so happy days! :ok

Nice one! Wonder where will be getting you business from now on ??
DJ at Dubdayz Summerfest
Now cutting about in an LT35 MWB